OK, this years popcorn has been a big hassle. I have two parents that have not finished payign for their popcorn.

The one that I am concerned about refuses to return my phone calls or any other method I try to contact him by. He is dodging me and owes $114 for popcorn that he sold. He does not have the popcorn yet, but he has still left us in a bad position.

My question is this. If he comes to the pack meeting tommorrow night, how should we approach this without making a scene. The night is about the boys and I do not want him to yank his kid just to spite his ex-wife, who is actually supportive of the scouting program.

Any help.

Not sure what you mean by - "He does not have the popcorn yet, but he has still left us in a bad position."

If you have never given him the popcorn he ordered, how can he pay you? Why not ask him for his sales list and deliver it yourselves. Or hold a booth sale and sell the popcorn.

Realistically: you aren't going to get the money from this guy. The pack needs to be prepared to cover the loss somehow. Reselling the popcorn is a good idea. Or maybe you can use it as thank-you gifts to people who have helped the pack this year. For example, our pack always made sure to give some to the school custodian, who were indispensable to us.

It would be too bad, if one or both of the boy's parents would use him as a pawn in their power games, like you suggest. But you can't allow yourself to get in the middle of parental squabbling because no matter what you do, you won't win there. The parents themselves are going to have to be the ones responsible for whether their kid is in scouts next year - way beyond your control.

Give the popcorn to someone who will sell it or try to return it. As Lisa posted, he's not going to pay you for it and if he has collected money for it, that's his problem not yours.

Here are my thoughts on this:

1) How did you know what popcorn to order and hopw much it will cost? I assume you had a list from him. By any chance did this list have the names of the people who were PLANNING on getting the popcorn they PAID for? ( Caps for emphasis).

2) If you have the names/ addresses of the original customers who paid for popcorn... GIVE THE POPCORN TO THEM!!!!!

They paid for it. Sure, the pack didn't get if because of the middleman, but why screw the original customers who kept their end of the agreement?

As of right now, the pack is at a loss for the popcorn. Giving it as gifts or prizes will not make up the money.

But giving itto the original buyers will save the oack face and maintain it's credibility BIG TIME .

The original customers are about to be screwed too. If you don't give them the popcorn, just think of all future sales gone down the drain.

Then remember that bad news travels twice as fast as good news. The last thing your pack needs is a reputation as one that doesn't honor it's obligation to the public..

No - it doesn't matter what really happened...all that matters is what the public thinks happened!

OK to answer a few questions then give an update.

He told me what it was that he needed for his orders. A day after I placed the pack order. I should have seen the problem there but I was trying to give him the benefit of doubt. I never saw an order form.

Popcorn came in and he dodged me for months. He has my number because he would pocket dial me. That told me that his phone was on and he had it with him, but when I returned his call, it would ring twice and go to voicemail. I am not stupid. Next year the only sales we are taking for this young cub are from his mother. She was going to pay for it but was advised not to by her lawyer, it would be covering up his mistakes again. That is another story.

I took this issue to the Pack Committee Meeting. THey determined that further action should be taken and that if needed a lawyer should be hired, even though it was against my better judgement because we cannot afford one. I turned all issues with this father over to the committee. They started drafting letters.

Last night at the den meeting my CC (Who is also a parent of one of my Den youth) came up to me and said that he had sold all the popcorn. he tried to give me the money and I stood my ground saying, "I turned the issue over to the committee. Not trying to be rude, but you can handle it." He understood and is making the deposite today and taking the reciept to the treasurer. The CC also took the popcorn to the NEW buyer. I actually trust the CC 100 times more then this other father.

So that issues has been resolved and now we are just dealing with another parent who owes about $94. I thought I could trust her being that she is a Law Enforcement Officer. OH well.