Drive In Movie Nights

Hello All,

Been awhile since i posted but anyway, has anyone ever been to, run or seen a drive in movie night fundraiser. I have found places to rent the equipment but i was wondering if anyone else out there has done one already that could share some of their knowledge.

If so, please send me a message!

Thanks,

251scout

A very interesting idea, but I'll bet not many folks have experience. I haven't even SEEN a drive-in theater in decades! The only way my kids even know about them is from, well, other movies.

But, if you have access to one, it could be billed as a retro, feel-good type thing. Maybe show Lucas's American Graffiti or something similar. Good luck!

Be sure to complete an Application for Unit Fundraising and have it approved by your SE...the general rule is that you must offer a product of value for the money received. In the case of showing a movie in exchange for money, I believe that is generally illegal, unless you are paying royalties to the copyright owners, but I'll let the attorneys in the group address that.

It is generally NOT permissible for a unit to solicit donations from the public. Only Council can do that.

Sounds like a great idea!

I'd charge admission, AND try to run concession stands! You really CANNOT ask for donations. If you can't ask for an admission fee, I'd try some creative alternatives, like selling food, washing windshields, renting comfy chairs, maybe even charging for the parking space or speakers ('you can get in for free, but the parking is $5, or you can rent a chair for $2, and/or a personal speaker for $5' sort of thing).

As for legality of charging admission... you said "I have found places to rent the equipment". Just ask them about the actual movies. Most places that rent the gear know the laws and often have what it takes to do so legally (like factoring in the copyright fees into the rentals).

I am lucky enough to live not too far from a still-active drive in, and a lot of groups rent the place out for fundraising on the slower nights- fun times!