I don't know of any company that has a policy of donating computers to youth groups.

Very often what happens is that when a parent or some other friend of the pack works for a company that is up-grading their computers, they will donate them. Of course a pack not being a charity means there is no tax advantage to donating to a pack.

Eamonn(This message has been edited by Eamonn)(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

wingnut,

You may well be right, I think I depreciated our restaurant equipment over a longer time.

We do a a board member who donates used copiers and the like, some are almost new, but being as he is donating them to the Council he can use the tax advantages. None of which exist when donating to a unit. Even if the stuff was brand spanking new.

Eamonn.

Legally, the donation would be to the CO, which could then use the item for the Scouting program. If the CO is a qualifying charitable organization, you then get a tax deduction. Scout units are not legal entities and have no Tax ID number.

Well Wingnut, as you can guess the tax depreciation rules are rather complex. Computers have a class life of 6 years, resulting in a depreciable life under the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System of 5 years. Of course, as you know for Alternative Minimum Tax purposes, the depreciable life would be 6 years using a straight line depreciation method. Now, if the computer was acquired over the past two years, bonus depreciation rules could apply such that an additional 30% or 50% could be claimed in the year of acquisition, further accelerating the write-off. Likewise, assuming less than $400K of equipment acquisitions for a year, a company may avail themselves of the IRC section 179 expensing that would make it possible to deduct the cost of the computer all in the first year. Any questions?(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

God Bless good old IRC section 179!!!

Hey SemperParatus,

Can I claim a deduction for Rory? He is providing or maybe will provide security? He is eating a heck of a lot and we started Puppy School today. $40.00 an hour. Heck I'm in the wrong business!!

Eamonn

He is still cheaper to keep than the big footed monster that lives in one of our bedrooms, playing that dreadful Country and Western sound seeping out!!

I agree with the prior posters - You're better off finding a family member who is either upgrading at home, or at their small company. Most large companies pay for services to come and reclaim their computers. They wipe off the hard drives and usually just use them for parts.

And, it's true that the unit are not supposed to accept donations. The CO can. That's a fine line, but worth noting.

Not knowing where you are is tough to know what organizations are around...

If you just need something for data spread sheets, light word prcessing etc. you could contact any large company and ask for assistance ( what is your CO? Tax exempt?).

Local police sometimes have systems 'recovered' but not claimed that a local family can pick up in a police sale for next to nothing and donate to the CO or just 'lend' it to the Pack...

Check with local computer stores for trade ins...who knows...let the whole community know what you need...never hurts to ask...

"playing that dreadful Country and Western sound seeping out!!" Bite your tongue, Eamonn. You should savor the pleasant privilege of being able to listen to both kinds of music at the same time, Country AND Western. :)

What kind of computer is needed anyway? Maybe I can dump one on you..oops, I mean donate one to the worthy cause.

The General Services administration and the Department of Defense has a program to donate older computers to Schools and educational NON-Profits. Its called computers for learning. Our council has received many computers and I have helped 1 other council get into the program. After the council has satisfied it requirements they can start passing them down to units according to the priorities they sat