A scout parent asked me

Ya Calico....I stick up for my own, just like the rich take care of their own.......Remember the do gooder a couple of months ago.....going to do scouting in a homeless shelter to try to keep the boys from being the dredges of society.....

A shame that California is not a progressive as Ohio...I can look up anyones property value online.......then we would know for sure..... Yo Eagle732 interested in a research project......send me the links..

skeptic....that is fair enough....Local governments do benefit from the BSA....I guess I was looking at it from the other perspective.....

Warning: trivia ahead!

Basementdweller relates a conversation: "Mr. B isn't it horrible...."

It was not someone named 'Betty' but rather it was 'Hazel' who referred to the man as 'Mr. B'. But thanks for the blast from the past anyway. ;)

Egad, now I even have the theme music playing in my head...

Changing the direction a bit to the Washington Post article BD posted. Good Grief, Charlie Brown!

The early part of my career was spend as a news reporter, so I know a little about journalistic standards and have always had a soft spot for the news and those who report it. Understanding professional news gathering and editing and the checks and quality controls which go into it, I've long been concerned with the dangers of the "blogsphere" which lack those controls. I believe we need professionals who are dedicated to fair, balanced and accurate reporting.

Well, this article shoots that theory all to hell.

This is nothing but the fictional musings of some bozo puking on his keyboard. Mr. Hirschfield, the "reporter", starts by telling us what the BSA ASSUMES. Not what the BSA said or did, but what he ASSUMES their belief's to be based upon. He then interviews the kid who contradicts statements he made in earlier published interviews. So the bozo spends the rest of the column explaining what the kid meant to say and that the contradictions are really the fault of the BSA for creating a situation in which it is difficult to say one really means. What th'.....?

This guy wanted to write a column and make a point. Unfortunately, he had nothing to support that point. So he just made up some stuff to get him there.

Reminds of my junior high science teacher, Mr. Curtis. His labs were really great but he was a little thin on the math and theory. He would be working to balance some long equation on the board and get down to the solution of 2=7, or something like that. At that point he would employ a little know theorem called "Curtis's Constant" which states that you may add or subtract any factor necessary to get the right answer. In the above example, Curt's Constant would be -5, making the equation 2=7-5 or 2=2.

Mr. Hirschfield has very liberally (no pun intended) applied Curt's Constant to his writing.