Leadership temper tantrum

"If a parent is not a leader, for what ever reason, the Scout can still participate and excel in Scouting!"

Except there is a really big difference if you got to make that choice for yourself or if that choice was made for you by people you don't know and who don't know you.

"What about the local convicted child molester, murderer, or other convicted felon? They have kids, do we allow them because they may be a parent?"

I don't care if a convicted child molester is the local child molester or not!

I kinda, sorta think that you know that going this far doesn't make sense and does little to promote the side of the argument.

Of course we all want the kids we serve to be safe and free from harm.

I work with a fair number of convicted child molesters (Some local some not.)

Nearly all but I'd be wrong to try and say all that I've had dealings with tend to be married, white middle aged men. (I did spend most of my day yesterday with an older African-American guy who molested a seven year old boy.)

Sexual molestation has very little to do with sex and is more about power than anything else.

Maybe there are gay child molesters? But so far I have yet to meet a child molester that has said he is gay.

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't rule the BSA?

My list of people not allowed to be leaders would include convicted drunk drivers, dead beat dads and anyone who sings rap songs. (I don't like rap!)

Eamonn

See, Eamonn...and you thought we disagree on things, lol. I agree completely with what you just wrote, right down to and especially including the rap music part (for which I add, the term 'song' is grossly misapplied..no melody... no music, really, either). Fella, I can say with complete confidence, that whatever it is you're getting paid, it isn't enough.