Eagle Scouts turning in badges?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle732 quotes the Raindrop Vow and Firefly Promise from the Spiral Scouts. I looked at their web site and it is probably relevant to add that the Raindrops are aged 3 to 5, which is why it makes sense that it is short, cutesy and rhymes. The Fireflies are aged 6 to 9, so they are the same age as Tigers, Wolves and Bears in the Cub Scouts. Their promise, while different, is not really that much different. There are two other age groups above that. Eagle732, maybe you should post the oaths (or whatever they call them) for those age groups so we can get a true comparison with the comparable aspects of Boy Scouting.

>

I agree. And I think resignations on principle should be taken seriously.

So I'd send each person a letter regretting that they no longer supported Scouting, and notifying them that all records of their membership in Scouting have been permanently expunged.

Questions:

Is this a "resignation" of any kind, or a symbolic gesture?

Since when does Nationals have the right to "expunge" youth rank advancement records? Isn't the rule of thumb always that once the paperwork is signed, it cannot be revoked? How many times does an Eagle do something criminal or unsavory, and the line is inevitably trotted out that their award cannot be revoked or negated? If not, there are probably dozens upon dozens of threads on this board operating under the premise of incorrect rank advancement policy. I can say or do all I want with my medal, but my record in Irving is what it is, and cannot be changed, based on over a century of advancement policy precedent.

If you want to be a punitive armchair SE based on your personal feelings on this issue, that's certainly your right, but it seems likely to me that these letters are being received in the Irving mailroom with a "here's another one, throw it in the pile," likely unread, maybe even fed straight to the recycling bin. If they're enterprising, those medals might even make their way into the National Scouting Museum warehouse for design/stock examples.

Expunging peoples' membership records because they sent in a piece of metal and cloth, maybe with a letter protesting the policy, is ridiculous. I am sure National does not do that, and they should not do that. If I sent in my old Life patch with a letter, should they expunge my membership records too? (I am not planning on doing so, partly because they might "expunge" my current registration, even though they shouldn't do that either. And besides, I have no need to quit (or risk termination), the policy will catch up with the true values of Scouting eventually.)

NJCubScouter, I hope you're not insinuating that I intentionally was making an unfair comparison. I, in fact was sharing their vow and promise for entertainment purposes only and made no comparisons whatsoever..

Since you requested it - "maybe you should post the oaths (or whatever they call them) for those age groups so we can get a true comparison with the comparable aspects of Boy Scouting. ". - here it is. I'll spare reposting the RainDrop Vow or FireFly Promise THAT THE 18 YEAR OLDS ALSO PLEDGE TO. You can scroll up a few posts and reread if you choose.

I still like it, it's so 1960s, a great time in my life, full of fond memories:)

The PathFinder Pledge: (14 - 18)

I pledge myself to the RainDrop Vow,

The FireFly Promise, the SpiralScouts's Oath,

And the fulfillment of my commitments,

Made to myself as well as others.

I pledge to serve my brothers and sisters, as I am able,

On our many journeys around the sun together

As I find my way through the world.

(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

I respect them for their stand and I suppose if a lot more really did it it could be a real BSA PR disaster since they market the "Eagle Scout brand" so aggressively. I do not think they should be expunged--it is like trying to quit the Catholic Church "You can check out any time you want but you can never leave."

I suppose they can always get a replacement medal but I doubt the public knows that.

I doubt anything happens but I do not know for sure so I used "former?". I would hope their medals and sashes are stored as the future always holds the promise of reconciliation.

Ignoring these letters would be discourteous. God forbid, their returned medals and sashes are sold on Ebay ... now that would be a PR disaster.

Another $0.02

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Yah, I think what SeattlePioneer is sayin' is that there's no real moral courage in sendin' a letter or a cheap tin metal back.

If they're really takin' a moral stand, then the stand is "I no longer wish to be considered an Eagle Scout." That is a request which can be honored, by deletin' their name from da Eagle rolls and dropping their membership in NESA.

Whether yeh choose to honor such a request depends a fair bit on whether yeh consider them responsible adults or little kids. Responsible adults, yeh honor the request. Little kids or adults driven by da emotion of the moment, yeh just sit on it figurin' that they'll come around sooner or later. :)

Beavah

It would depend on the content of the letter, I suppose.

If you have the courage of your convictions, and state that you no longer wish to be an Eagle Scout because of their evil, discriminatory ways, fine then. You have crossed the Rubicon, burnt the ships, and made your choice. I don't agree with your opinion, but you had the guts to renounce something you used to be a part of. National should send them a polite letter honoring their wishes and informing them that any record of them being an Eagle or Scout will be expunged from the records, and the medal you sent in will be destroyed.

If this is just an empty gesture done to attract some media attention, and you send the badge in but plan to ask for it to be returned later, then what was the point? You're another John Kerry. Keep your medal at home or in a safety deposit box and put it back on when and if the BSA trims it's moral fiber to fit your personal specifications. If you follow this path, then your gesture was an empty one, and you're nothing more than a parlor panther, in Tom Wolfe's memorable phrase.