Council president says they ignore rules against gays and atheists

Or maybe he just "interprets" the rules so it's never possible to exclude anyone for being gay or an atheist:

http://triblocal.com/joliet/2011/05/10/rainbow-council-boy-scouts-weighs-name-change/

Davidson said the Rainbow Council is accepting of everyone, despite the national councils historic stances against gays and atheists.

The only thing that I know is that its our obligation as board members to explore any and all options to increase the numbers of kids that are served by our program, whether they be black, white, orange, left-handed, handicapped, gay, it doesnt matter, said Davidson, who noted that the Rainbow Council has the second lowest participation rate of all Chicago area councils.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, hmmm...

I think what da article is saying is that the name "Rainbow Council" is a turn-off to the modern youth demographic in that area and their families.

Da reason the name is no longer attractive to boys who might consider joining is left as an exercise for the reader. ;)

Beavah

So they change their name to the "manly men" council, then what? Do they really think that this alone will increase membership?

Most likely, the people who have a problem identifying with rainbows aren't going to join scouting anyway.

The Rainbow Council, as well as the rest of us, should not give in to ignorance.

You do realize that they wear a big rainbow on their shoulder? You've hung around with middle school kids, and you're telling me none of them would possibly make fun of that? No Scouts from any other troop you've ever encountered would make fun of that?

Yeah, everyone in the article carefully avoids anything which would stir the pot, but let's cut to the chase and assume the Rainbow Council is making this change because the rainbow has been adopted as a symbol by a number of other organizations with which the council would prefer not to be affiliated.

So?

Didn't Robert E. Lee Council do the same thing? Didn't East Carolina and a number of others not change their CSPs for this reason? Sauce for the goose.....

The obvious question is am I equating racism, slavery and the Confederacy with being gay or seeking civil right for homosexuals?

No, I'm not. I'm equating one political point of view with another. If a council can disassociate itself from images and icons used by right-wing groups it disagrees with, can it not disassociate itself from images and icons used by left-wing groups with which it disagrees.

And that the volunteer president of a small 5,000-member council makes a statement contradicting national policy doesn't really concern me. I imagine if the issue ever rises above talk there will be some "clarification" of the policy. How did this strategy work out for Cradle of Liberty?