Didnt take him long...

February 17, 2009: A former student who was shot inside Central High School after gaining entry into the school was in serious condition at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit today, Detroit Public Schools police said.

A suspect who accidentally shot himself in the leg after leaving the school also was at Henry Ford Hospital, but his condition was unknown, said district spokeswoman Mattie Majors. He also was not a student, officials said.

Police have identified four people of interest tied to the shooting, Majors said.

To be blunt, society doesn't care as much about inner city school shootings as they do in the suburbs.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I routinely teach large numbers of first-year college students from Detroit. To a one, they can tell horrible stories about people being harmed in the supposedly "safe zone" of their public middle or high school. Most know someone who was shot. While of course that is merely anecdotal, it leads me to believe that Acco is right, school shootings happen with alarming frequency in inner city schools. We just don't usually hear about them if we don't live nearby. Now the ones that happen in leafy suburbs tend to get national attention.

LisaBob and Acco are right on. Most of the rest of the U.S. is clueless to the situation facing the inner city. Some of these street wise young men would take your CWP and clip it to your wet cold dead nose before you even knew what hit you. Then take your "Plastic" or "burner" and sell it for $100 within 30 minutes on the same street.

The 2nd Amendment does all that. It says the right of the people to own arms shall not be infringed.

All of your people's sad stories have no effect on that.

I don't know everyone keeps sharing them.

Lets get off all these sad but true stories of gun violence and get back to discussing why my 2nd Amendment rights are being violated because I can't have an RPG. Remember, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. Its about keeping the people safe from their own government. I need an RPG to do that. Sorry, handguns, shotguns, and assault rifles just won't do.

It's sad that the trespassing gang-banger got himself shot. But I won't lose a lot of sleep over it. You go looking for trouble, deal with the consequences. The real issue is how many laws were broken in the process of getting shot? Let's enforce the laws we already have...trespassing, possession of concealed weapons by minors, etc, etc.

TheScout, I do not mock you. But you have stated the 2nd Amendment was designed to allow citizens to repel foriegn invasions and resist our own government. It doesn't refer to firearms, it refers to arms. Obviously, unless the citizens have access to the same military hardware the government does, the 2nd Amendment becomes meaningless. I cannot resist my government without SAMs, RPGs, landmines, cannon and possibly cruise missiles. Its an arms race we are very far behind on. Those of you who use the 2nd Amendment to justify ownership of assault weapons and pistols, are misusing it. Those toys would are meaningless to satisfy the true intent of the framers of the amendment.

scoutldr, I think the point was that a lot of stuff happens in inner city schools and goes un-noticed - NOT that we should somehow be sympathetic to the perp.

Were you similarly unsympathetic to the situation I described? No laws had been broken until he did the crime. Enforcement was irrelevant...and always is to the dead persons.

Gern, Hal,

If I follow the logic correctly, we'd all be far better off if we manufactured small concealable nuclear weapons and scattered thousands of them all over the planet as deterrent to anyone using them. Oops, sorry...already working on it....

Those poor Iranians and N. Koreans deserve nukes too. It is their sovereign right after all - I even bet their Constitutions allow it. But think of how much safer the world will be when everyone has more of them for personal defence.

Pack,

I make no claim that we would be safer with unrestricted access to military hardware. But how else can I protect my constitutional rights from an oppressive government? That's what the 2nd Amendment is all about, its not about hunting rifles. Oh, sure, we could allow citizens to form well regulated militias, like the National Guard, but that's not what the 2nd Amendment is all about is it? Or is it? Hmmm.