Didnt take him long...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The French have a proud military tradition...." First thing that TheScout has said in days that I agree with.

Gern: "This is a conservative forum". Is that a rule? Are conservatives the only people welcome on this forum? I would just like to know if I am unwelcome here.

We would not have won the revolution without the French. They did pretty well at Yorktown. Napoleon's army racked up a lot of victories as well. Admittedly, their record with the German's is not so hot.

The BSA is definitely run by conservatives... to its discredit at times as it should be politically neutral. Not all scouts or scouters are conservative. Conservatives are in the minority in my community and in my unit. Are you suggesting that those of us that are not conservative are not welcome in scouting?

Hal

The French have a proud military history. They were warriors in another era, but sadly, WW2 demonstrated their lack of resolve and they have not regained it, especially during the Vietnam conflict.

I don't know if you visited this forum during the high days of the Bush regime. Being less than conservative here was like being an Atheist at a COH. Any step out of rank was met with a quick, "America, love it or leave it."

This drove many non-conservatives into the closet. But that door is now open and some are willing to voice their opinion where they wouldn't have in the more acerbic environment.

Its gotten better here and they had to realize scouting attracts more than just social conservatives and that we hike the same trails and probably even shared a tent with one of us.

It is true that without the gunpowder and other help from the French, we probably would not have won our freedom. This is not exactly, however, a monument to the wisdom of the French because the French monarchy, in their desire to bloody the nose of the British monarchy, essentially supported the idea that we should be able to pursue the Revolution and Democracy. DUH! I guess they didn't foresee something similar happening to them after we demonstrated how to do it successfully. BIG DUH! But we appreciated the help.

As for Connecticut:

Position: Assistant Professor - Field of mass communications and public relations

Central Connecticut State University is accepting applications for tenure-track position in the Department of Communications, School of Arts and Sciences. CCSU offers a full range of opportunities as well as generous benefits and a congenial campus . Emphasis for this position is on instruction but research is encouraged, especially at undergraduate level. Teaching experience required. MA is required, Ph.D. preferred, and practical work experience is also preferred. Must support 2nd amendment and weapons on campus. At CCSU we start with a dream and finish with a future.

Direct inquiries to the chair:

Department of Communication

Robert Vance Academic Center

1615 Stanley Street

New Britain, CT

I have to tell you all, I had no idea this was a Conserative Forum. It wasn't all that long ago I exchanged PM's with a Forum member who told me my liberal views were what was going to spell the doom of western civilization. Then in two weeks I got a PM that I was so Conservative that it should embarrass me. So, I figure I am about right.

If you disagree with someone, disagree with them, you explain why you disagree with them. Its too easy to say You Conservatives/Liberals are all nuts, its harder to argue a specific point without bringing in the invectives

Ding ding ding - liberal here. Well, socially liberal at least - I'm rather conservative in my financial views. Surprisingly, I know quite a few fellow liberals among the Scouters in my very Southern town.

I believe most folks on this forum are conservative and/or republican. I've received a few flame IMs for posting my more liberal views on some subjects in the past, so I usually don't post in the politics section. I enjoy reading the threads though. Rather entertaining.

gern, since we are off the topic anyway, are you suggesting that we stick on topic the entire time and not allow drift thread much like Forrest Gumps feather that moves randomly?

Doing that would certainly raise the horrid spectre of censorship and the threat of lack of free speech, again

Not at all OGE, but as thread pages go double digits, it becomes irrelevant and just the usual subjects taking cheap shots at each other, GUILTY!. I would support a top limit of 10 pages then the thread automatically closes.

Now, has anyone seen Slumdog Millionaire? I have mixed feelings.

Well I think its about time the Democrat/Liberal contributers have a voice in these forum threads that are usually monopolized by Brent, Gern, and Kahuna spouting their own brand of vile attacks on those who disagree with them, or as I like to think of them the Rush Limbaugh Fan Club. What worries me more is how much of this hatred spews down to the boys in their troops, but I am sure they are all long retired scouters who in their golden years just love to argue and fight, lol.