Changing "Avowed" ruling to broader context?

No animus intended, pack. I wasn't quoting you, but the insinuation that I gleaned from your statement, "Consequently, he was at great needless risk". From that, I assumed you were implying that he could reduce that risk "if he wanted to." I, too, worked with a close friend who weighed significantly more than I do...I would guess close to 400 lbs. Unfortunately, he died two years ago at age 58. He used to tell me, "if it were as simple as knowing what to do, we'd all be thin." I did manage to lose 50 lbs a year ago...I had a raging case of diverticulitis and was on clear liquids for over two months. So I know what works. But as soon as I resumed a "normal" diet (meaning solid food) following surgery, the weight came back with a vengeance. BTW, when I was sick and down to a "normal" weight, all I heard was how sick I looked (sheesh!). Someone posted here not long ago, that smokers have the luxury of quitting cold turkey. Eaters have to "lie down with the devil" every day...we don't have the option of "quitting".

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understood, Scoutldr

I actually meant 'to his own health and safety'. The guy was a really nice guy and I really worried about him when he was working. We were doing field work on boats and I made it clear that there was no way he could get back into the boat if he fell overboard. The boarding ladder could take it but he wasn't strong enough to do it. I told him we'd do the best we could but that that would probably involve securing a rope to him and towing him ashore. Fortunately he never fell.

Pack, the scenario you described happened to me and my wife while we were racing. One of our club members on an other boat was grossly obese. Good guy, good sailor.

On the course, a squall came through and knocked down several boats including ours. He got tossed into the drink. Thankfully, everyone was wearing a PFD. He clung to the transom of his boat, unable to get back in. But in his condition, we feared cardiac arrest due to the cold water and stress. We came along side and my wife boarded their ship. I stayed on my boat since my responsibility was the safety of my remaining crew. His three crew plus my wife couldn't get him back onboard. We ended up beaching his boat with the guy in tow to save him. End of story, he survived to race another day, and a power boat was able to pull his yacht off the beach.

A man's, gots to know his limitations.(This message has been edited by gernblansten)