Should the motto "In God We Trust" be removed from U.S. currency?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminders:

The US Guvmnt does not REQUIRE it's citizenry to attend church/temple/mission/synagogue/mosque/meeting/discussion group.

It does not COLLECT tax or tithe for financing any of the above institutions.

It does not PUNISH it's citizenry or visitors (both invited and not) for NOT attending church/temple/missiion/synagogue/mosque/meeting/discussion group.

The majority of our voting citizenry, thru their representatives, chose to present their belief that we try to trust in God (mebbe not always successfully.Another discussion another time), however anyone may or may not perceive him/her/it to be, by a short motto on our publicly available currency.

It is altogether appropriate for the citizenry to petition their representatives to reconsider that decision.

Perhaps a better question is not whether we should publicly express our trust in God, but if it is possible for God to trust in us.(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Ed, there always seems to be enough money to pander to the religious right, as in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2008, where congress moved "in god we trust" off the edge of the presidential dollar coins to the front or back. And the plates for bills $5 and up were recently changed, IGWT could have been removed at that time. Bills may have to be changed again if the 2007 verdict in favor of the American Council of the Blind is upheld, so there's another possible "free" opportunity.

Pander? That's what I love about you Merlyn, you are always on the attack! Freedom of religion, my friend. And God on anything is promoting religion about as much as the guy with the rainbow hair & the John 3:16 sign.

Ed, you keep trying to deny your god for some reason. You want him on your money, but you deny that your god has anything to do with religion or Christianity.

And by the way, the rainbow wig guy (Rollen Stewart) is currently serving 3 life sentences for kidnapping people when he thought the rapture was imminent.

Not denying my God at all Merlyn. Never have & never will. I have never denied God has anything to do with religion. That's your interpretation, which is in error. One can believe in God without belonging to a religion. The motto isn't "In Lutheranism we Trust". That would be promoting a religion.

I know what the 1st Amendment states, Merlyn. God is not a religion. He is a deity! Religions believe in Him. You don't. That's your choice. But having God on US currency or as part of a motto does not establish a religion!

NEXT!