The whole Mormon thing - prop 8 in CA

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lord Wizard King spoke thus, "Those aren't all the choices. Lewis' lord/liar/lunatic is a well-known false trilemma. It makes no allowances for simple things like inaccurate retellings of stories over decades by bronze-age sheepherders."

Oh, Wizard-King, if you'd bother to read what I wrote, before you trotted out your supposed answer to an argument you'd seen before . . . you'd have noted that I HAD in fact dealt with that when I wrote, "To make Christ just "a good man", you only have to butcher the New Testament, especially the Gospels". If you toss all the bits in the Gospels you don't like a la Thomas Jefferson or else rejigger them according to the latest textual theories a la the Jesus Seminar, you can have any Jesus you want. But, if you rewrite all the biographical info about B-P, you can also make him into a flaming fag and pederast.

In fact, if you'd ever bothered to read Lewis yourself, you'd know that he dealt with your re-interpreting at some length and in several ways. The one I found most interesting was his OBSERVATION that, of all the hundreds of critics who'd try to "really understand" and correct, either LOTR (which he'd known during it's entire long birth process) or his own Narnia Chronicles, he'd found that the percent of critics who got it right, in their multitudinous speculations, was precisely zero. For him, this pretty much scuttled the possibility that similar writers and interpreters, working across a gap of 1900 years, could succeed where his own contemporaries facing no such difficulty had universally failed!

Wizard-King, if you re-write a book you can make it say whatever you like. And, if you re-write proto-history, you can rustle up "bronze age sheepherders" a 1200+ years after they disappeared, and place them in the midst of the iron armed and armored Roman legions. As CSL noted, re-interpreters like yourself can't even get the simple stuff right!

Oh Great Wizard-King, with self-delusions of grandeur, pay attention! Use Google before you post!

GaHillBilly

OGE, if you are referring to me, I'm not calling Merlyn any names he hasn't called himself.

In Arthurian legend (ie, King Arthur), Merlin (ie, Merlyn) was the last of the great wizards. LeRoy is simply the Anglicization of le roi, which is French for "the king". So, calling M-LR "Great Wizard King" is simply calling him plainly what he called himself, slightly obscurely!

Granted, "delusions of grandeur" was unnecessary, but by the time I thought better of it, my 'edit' window had expired. On the other hand, do you really thing it's very unfair to describe someone who would name himself, in public, "the great wizard-king" as having such delusions?

He jumped in to try to slam an argument he only half-understood, with a half-grasped response, and a wholly silly attempt -- complete with egregious and obvious errors -- to marginalize the gospel writers. So, I was irritated.

On the one hand, I wish I'd left out the delusions bit. On the other hand, I don't think he got more than he earned.

GaHillBilly