He chose a White Woman

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>Eagledad, why do you have to be so nasty about it?>I'm saddened by it, but I guess times have changed. I remember when a scout leader would have felt proud to see a Scout Uniform at such events. Now some feel shame. I will never understand it, but I will file it in my "Scouting is a great program until the adults get involved", folder.

I don't understand the age obsession. History has shown many brillant young leaders. Think of Alexander Hamilton, Napoleon Bonaparte, or Alexander the Great who all came to great prominence in their 20's. It has also shown a great many wise older folks and Benjamin Franklin and Queen Elizabeth II are examples of people who continue(d) to be effective leaders into their 80s.

Policies and values matter to me. Age does not.

Here is a page confirming that I am correct on the uniform issue:

http://bsa632pensacola.org/policies/Uniforming.htm

Admittedly it is a troop web site but the document itself is a letter from an identified DE in an identified council, and it looks pretty official (not to mention correct.)

So, Eagledad, unless you have anything more official that is to the contrary, I will accept your apology in advance. This has nothing to do with pride or shame. I proudly wear my uniform whenever it is appropriate, and I actively encourage everyone else in my (son's) troop to do the same, adults and boys. But wearing the uniform isn't always appropriate, and when I am watching a nationwide tv network and observing an inappropriate use of the uniform while I am typing a post in this forum, it seems reasonable to mention it.

TheScout, I am not really concerned about the age issue, on either end. In my opinion none of the candidates are too young or too old. My comment (which probably should have had a :) attached to it) was more a sign of my concern that I am getting old myself. But, as they say, growing older is preferable to the alternative.

Just for the record, the Scouts that appeared at the last Democratic convention did so at the DNC's invitation and with the permission of the the BSA.

What happened was disgusting. The young ment who were invited to come and present the American Flag for the opening ceremonies were openly ambushed by the Democratic party delegates. The entire place jeering and booing the young scouts as they entered the hall carrying the American flag.

It was planned, and it was cowardly.

"Think of Alexander Hamilton, Napoleon Bonaparte, or Alexander the Great who all came to great prominence in their 20's."

True, but back then, 15 was an adult, 30 was an old man and most were dead by 40. So if greatness was to be, they didn't have much time to get it done.

McCain's choice is pleasing to me. I'll admit, I have gone through life as a conservative Republican, although I do not agree 100% with ANY platform. Maybe I'm more of a conservative independent libertarian. I like Lieberman, he's a good man with solid experience, but I didn't think that ticket was electable. In the past couple of weeks, I've been wavering...maybe it was the Kool-Aid fumes from the Obama rallies, and the lack of visibility and "pizazz" from the McCain camp. I like the way Obama is driven to "change" (God knows, we need it), but the lack of specificity and concrete fiscal plans bothers me. Too much like a used car salesman..."of COURSE you can afford these payments...everyone else does!"

But my head and heart are clear now. McCain/Palin will have my vote. Too bad many others will vote purely on race or on how well they were "entertained".