Obama and Huckabee (and the rest too)

Uuuuhhhhh, I think the only real qualification has something to do with citizenship and being 35 years old. This means, as we've demonstrated empirically, that within those broad limits if we want to we can elect the dumbest, nose-picking dud on the face of the planet. Mencken said it better:

"When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.' The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

I'd say that as a nation we've finally been there and done that.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like to talk to tomatoes...

If a squash can make you smile...

If you like to waltz with potatoes...

Up and down the Produce aisle...

You should be President.

I'm sorry folks, but from what I'm seeing, this silly season has to beat almost any since Andrew Jackson ran!

Huckabee can say lots of things about religion without it constituting a stupid mistake--a stupid mistake is something that will cause a person who might have voted for him to decide not to do so. So he can say that this country should return to Christian values, that prayer should be returned to the schools, that gay marriage should be banned, even that the Constitution should be amended to do those things, and it won't really lose him many votes. If he were to say, for example, that only Christians can be saved and everybody else is going to Hades (which he may well believe), THAT would be a mistake that could lose him votes. He got close to it with some of his remarks about Mormonism, but he's no dope. I continue to think that Huckabee will take lots of evangelical votes in places like South Carolina, because those Christian conservatives aren't really Republicans--they are social conservatives who don't particularly want tax cuts for the rich, but who really would like to see abortion and gay marriage banned. And they are smart enough to know that the other Republican candidates won't do much to push those agenda items if they get elected.