War on "Merry Christmas"?

War on 'Merry Christmas'?

http://access.aikenstandard.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/aik/archive/2007/December/09/site-localnews/143446.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=Haley+Hughes&sectionSearch=&begindate=1%2F1%2F2002&enddate=12%2F31%2F2007&authorSearch=&IncludeStories=1&pubsection=&page=&IncludePages=&IncludeImages=&mode=allwords&archive_pubname=Aiken+Standard%0A%09%09%09

http://tinyurl.com/262vx4

Date December 09, 2007

By HALEY HUGHES

Staff writer

What would you say if someone wished you a "Merry Christmas"?

Would your response be "Merry Christmas to you, too," or would you ever so subtly correct them by throwing out the more politically correct term, "Happy Holidays"?

Would you say anything at all?

In an ever-increasingly PC world, it seems "Happy Holidays" is the more accepted greeting passed from person to person when the holiday season (whatever the holiday may be) arrives.

The fear of offending someone by referring to Christianity's most treasured figure has driven individuals and businesses to declare "war on Christmas." After all, not everyone believes in Jesus Christ and celebrates Christmas, and society is conscious of that, perhaps now more than ever.

An anonymous TalkBack recently submitted to the Aiken Standard makes note of the PC wave: "I went to (a retailer) to purchase something and was waited on by a very nice lady who told me that they were not allowed to wish people a Merry Christmas out of fear of offending them."

But is the "war on Christmas" battle being fought in Aiken, S.C.? We at the Aiken Standard wanted to find out. During our day-to-day out at stores and eateries, we said to clerks we hoped they had a Merry Christmas and gauged their reactions.

Out of the 10 places we visited, we heard a return "Merry Christmas" only twice. Two clerks said, "Thank you." The remaining responses, except for one, were, "You, too" or a variation thereof. Everyone was cordial. Not once did we hear a negative response or a verbal correction for not being politically correct.

Barry Markovsky, professor and chair of the Department of Sociology at the University of South Carolina, remembers the push to become PC around the holidays surfacing during his college years in the 1970s.

There are two ways a person can react upon hearing "Merry Christmas," he said.

"One, you take it as a benign, positive greeting. People may see that somebody cares about their happiness. Two, there can be an overcorrection. You can take a benign greeting and turn it into an insult," Markovsky said. "People take it as a signal of a lack of awareness."

Hints of awareness were spotted at Sunday's Aiken Christmas parade. Interestingly enough, we heard a young boy seated on a Boy Scout troop float in Sunday's Aiken Christmas Parade shout, "Happy Hanukkah" to the crowd. Right after that, a Girl Scout troop float rode by, decorated with a mural of the Star of David, dreidels and menorahs.

While the "war on Christmas" continues, Markovsky noted that he is seeing the "pendulum swing the other way" -- some are offended when Christ is taken out of Christmas, to sometimes be replaced with an "X."

By numbers alone -- gathered with our minimally scientific method -- there is evidence of the war being fought in Aiken. As to what side will win and where it will lead us is anybody's guess.

In the meantime, have a Merry Christmas.

The response we received after saying to store and restaurant clerks, "I hope you have a Merry Christmas."

Chick-fil-A: "You, too." (Our order came with three sauce packages for dipping. Coincidence? You decide.)

Dollar General: "Merry Christmas."

Bi-Lo: "You, too."

Salvation Army bell ringer: "Merry Christmas."

CVS: "Thank you."

Save-a-Lot: "Thank you."

Aiken Drug: "You, too."

Wal-Mart: "Same to you."

Maurices: "You too."

Belk: "I hope so, too. This is retail, you know."??

I just spent yesterday going through a title 1 school with a lot of underprivileged kids. I was Santa Claus...and I said "Merry Christmas" to each and every one of them. And, you know, not a single child objected.;)

Nor did any of the faculty nor administration. I think the 'war' is being grossly exaggerated.

Ah, the timing of holidays and traditions. Where DID the Yule Log come from? Why does the Easter Bunny exist anyway, what part of the Passion involves rabbits? How did All Hallows Eve become a celebration of the macabre.

Besides, Christmas is not the most important holiday anyway, its number 2

I'm suprised it took until Dec. 9 for an article on the alleged "War on Christmas".

As far as I'm concerned the war started two weeks BEFORE Halloween, when I walked into the local big box hardware center, and the "Holiday" Decorations were up, along with all the "Holiday" stuff for sale.

I was looking for grass seed to plant and it had been pulled from the shelves to make room for the the "Holiday" stuff.

SA

Look at the supposed "holiday" decorations that you can buy at the big stores.

Santa on a motorcycle?

Polar bears and penguins?

Igloos?

Also, say Merry Christmas to someone on December 26th. They'll look at you as if you're crazy. Christmas is over! No! Christmas starts on December 25th and goes for 11 more days.