LDS, Christians, and Politics

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do remember reading that about Ford after he died but you're right, he kept his religious cards close to his vest, metaphorically speaking.

Carter on the other hand, waved his cards in the air for all to see, admitted to adultery and still managed to win.

It seems that admissions of adultery help the Democrats.

Lets be sure that we realize the comment was "I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times.

having the temptation and not following it is quite different than actively pursuing and acheiving said mission. It was not right, but certainly controling ones actions is key.

I am going to give the definitive answer to the question of whether Mormons are Christians or not: yes and no.

The fact is that Mormonism grows out of Protestant Christianity, and includes a number of important elements of Christianity, including a special role of Jesus in the salvation of mankind. In that sense, yes, it is a form of Christianity.

On the other hand, the doctrines of Mormonism deviate significantly form the core doctrines shared by almost all Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christians, especially with regard to the nature of God and of Jesus in particular.

So if you are defining "Christianity" in the way a Religious Studies professor might, yes, Mormonism is a part of the broader category of "Christianity." If, however, you are defining Christianity in terms of the core doctrines shared by the vast majority of Christians worldwide, no, Mormonism is not Christianity.

At least Ed is himself a Christian, eh? Seems like that opinion is more worthwhile than that of someone who admits he isn't a Christian, and doesn't buy into / understand Christianity.

I remember a year or two back the Catholic Church said they were no longer recognizing Mormon baptism, because Mormon baptism clearly didn't mean the same thing as baptism to da rest of Christianity. IIRC, Salt Lake issued a statement that they weren't offended at all, and actually agreed.

So it doesn't seem like there's any dispute here among the players, only among da outsiders who understand neither Mormons nor Christians ;)

Beavah

No Ed, you're the one who argues that if people don't believe as you do, they cannot be Christians. That's like the silly people who don't like golf and claim that it isn't a sport.

Here's the reality Ed, if I follow the teachings of Christ but believe that he's an alien who came to Earth to recruit people to populate his city on Znerflot then I am a Christian. If you believe that Christ is the son of God and belive that belief will save you in the afterworld, you're a Christian too. If you believe that Christ came to the new world to preach to the lost tribe of Jews, you're a Christian. If you believe that after Christ died, he went to Scandanavia and sang songs with Norsemen, you're a Christian.

For my part, I'm looking forward to visiting Znerflot.

I've been busy folks, sorry I missed this one earlier.

If I recall correctly, JFK was almost accused of having a red phone to the vatican to find out what the Pope wanted.

Carter is Southern Baptist, born again, a Sunday School when not swinging hammers and monitoring elections.

Evangelicals would probably say that Catholics are not "Christians" because Catholics are not "born again". Catholics would disagree and say that they are Christians.

Would there be as much fuss if a candidate were a Quaker or Pentecostal? How about a Menonite? I think some people are afraid that Romney is a Mormon.

What's wrong with some of their wholesome social teachings, no pre-marital activities, etc.

Religion should be private.

Without exception, every Mormon I have met has been the nicest person. Nice to a fault.

No Ed, you're the one who argues that if people don't believe as you do, they cannot be Christians. That's like the silly people who don't like golf and claim that it isn't a sport.

I have never argued that, GW. I don't expect people to believe exactly what I believe.

Yep Beav, I am a Christian.

Here's the reality Ed, if I follow the teachings of Christ but believe that he's an alien who came to Earth to recruit people to populate his city on Znerflot then I am a Christian.

No you're not. You really don't understand, do you.

If you believe that Christ is the son of God and belive that belief will save you in the afterworld, you're a Christian too. If you believe that Christ came to the new world to preach to the lost tribe of Jews, you're a Christian. If you believe that after Christ died, he went to Scandanavia and sang songs with Norsemen, you're a Christian.

There is a lot more too it than just believing Christ is the Son of God. An atheist can believe Christ is the Son of God, but since an atheist doesn't believe in God, well you should be able to make the connection.

For my part, I'm looking forward to visiting Znerflot.

Send picture when you get there. The wife & I are always looking for a new vacation spot.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

A blessed Christmas to all

"Here's the reality Ed, if I follow the teachings of Christ but believe that he's an alien who came to Earth to recruit people to populate his city on Znerflot then I am a Christian."

Well, no, unless like Humpty Dumpty, you think a word means whatever you say it means. As I noted above, a person is a "Christian" if (a) from the religious studies point of view, he is part of the Christian tradition, or (b) he shares the core beliefs of Christianity. Your Znerflottian sect might make the cut on the first definition (barely), but not the second. Note that this has nothing to do with whether a religion is true, or doctrinally correct, or not--it has to do with what category it belongs in.

If I recall correctly, Richard Nixon was a Quaker. And Dwight Eisenhower was raised a Jehovah's Witness by his mother, a former Mennonite, but abandoned that in adulthood when he joined the Army. After his inauguration, he converted to Presyterianism. (I'm a distant cousin...a Pennsylvania German Lutheran).

There is a local radio preacher who espouses that there is no Biblical basis for religious denominations. They are a creation of men, for their own purposes, and it's unnecessary. All you need to know is written in God's word, according to him. We don't need it filtered and interpreted by prophets, Popes, Bishops, and self-proclaimed Reverends. I think there's a lot of sense in that. I am going to miss my steamed shrimp, though.