I didn't want to hijack another thread about this.

The kind that has had the explanation that Scout Spirit is defined as the way a scout lives the Oath and Law outside of scouts, yet still wants to tie signing off on scout spirit to participation in troop events.

If I'm not mistaken, the requirement states

"Demonstrate scout spirit by living the Scout Oath (Promise) and Scout Law in your everyday life"

Everyday means everyday including Scouts.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

I'm not certain I understand your point. Yes, "Scout Spirit" covers all 24 hours and all 7 days, including during AND outside of scouting activities. However, my reading of "Scout Sprit" does not include a troop participation quota. That should be covered elsewhere ("Be active in your troop and patrol ...)

I'm not saying there should be a Troop participation quota. The quote states "outside of scouts". That's what I have a problem with. Scout Spirit includes Scouts and everything else.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Yah, OK.

Now, I expect most of us evaluate Scout Spirit by what we see inside of scouts, since we can't evaluate it anywhere else.

So, if we're makin' a bigger deal about Scout Spirit outside of scouts, how do you evaluate it? For Eagle, we ask for recommendation letters, but what do you do for the other ranks?

Ah, "measuring" scout spirit in everyday life, we should have a picture in scouting, but what about non-scouting life?

During the scoutmaster conference one could ask some of the following questions:

1. What good deed did you do today?

2. Do all your friends know you are a boy scout?

4. How is does a scout show trustworthiness at school?

5. How does a scout show loyalty at school?

6. How does a scout show etc at school?

7. What would each teacher this semester say about you?

8. Do you do any community/church service outside of scouts?

9. How are you reverent

10. Who at school would you most like to be like and why?

You dont need references, just ask the questions and "watch" for the answers.

I guess you may have the odd scout who hasnt been around much, missing meetings and outings and then you find out he has been working with his church on taking care of Katrina survivors and the like, its up to you to decide what scouting spirit is

Good questions, OGE. And the odd scout DOES exist! We just had one who missed several meetings and an outing. We discovered this was because he was serving as a deacon in his church and was helping there. We certainly didn't hold him back for this! Congratulated him, though.

We live in a small town, and I usually know most of what is happening. People call to report on the Scouts at times! Now the boy (scout) who backed into a flag pole & drove off without telling the owner, we had some issues with. (The owner wasn't even that upset about the flag pole, but called to tell us that the scout left the flag laying on the ground.)

I usually include a question to the effect of, "Have you indulged in any un-Scout-like behavior I should know about?" They usually fess up.

Such questions are a standard part of the SM conferences in my son's troop.

He's been asked how he shows Scout Spirit at home, and he's replied with examples such as doing chores without being asked, offering to learn how to use the mower & power trimmer, etc. He's also been asked how he shows Scout Spirit at school and at church.

So, because a Scout is Trustworthy, I think the best way to determine whether a Scout lives the Oath & Law in his everyday life is to ask him for examples of how he does that.

And no, our Troop does not include a participation requirement as part of Scout Spirit. As Nick said, that's part of being "active".