ACLU strategy will backfire

Scout John,

WELCOME!!!!

Your all caps is an internet tool for yelling. Between Ed and Merlyn, they can definitely make you want to scream, but there's no need to swim in their section of the pool. Stay over here where the nice kids play!

If they were arguing face to face, we'd acuse them of being deaf because they refuse to truly listen to each other's deeply held convictions. I guess, given the forum's method of communication - they must be blind.

Neither is Kind enough, nor Brave enough to play well with others. Merlyn is not a Scouter. Ed is, and therefore, should know better. They only come out to play when the thread includes the letters A-C-L-U or those frightening words "atheism" and "homosexual".

They're so busy with each other, they generally ignore the rest of us - with which, I'm generally content.

Anyway, don't get too caught up in the twin brothers of different mothers. For the most part we're about Scouting and helping young people grow into character-ful adults. Please, bring your questions, bring your knowledge, and pull up a chair.

Again, WELCOME!!!

jd

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jd,

I do know better. I just can't stand it to see someone like Merlyn trying to destroy the BSA. My rights, your rights, his rights are all identical. Yet Merlyn wants to say a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school having a rule of "No atheists allowed". Not even close to being the same!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

No Ed, a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school running a youth group that says "no atheists allowed" (or "No Jews", or "No Catholics", etc).

That's not what I posted Merlyn! I posted

Yet Merlyn wants to say a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school having a rule of "No atheists allowed". Not even close to being the same!

It really helps when you pay attention!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

The BSA can adapt to change. There are many more churches and sponsors than schools. It will simply take a while longer to open the doors. Plenty of people in the communities want Scouting and are willing to help. This is just a bump in the road.

FB

Merlyn, Where in my post did I state "running a no atheist youth group". I said "having a rule". I guess I have to draw you a map. I'll use bright colors.

What I meant was a public school have a rule "No atheists allowed" anywhere in the school!

Whew!

I didn't realize this was so hard!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Ed, when you wrote:

Yet Merlyn wants to say a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school having a rule of "No atheists allowed"

...you were lying.

I was just pointing out that you lied about my position.

Stop lying.

Ed, Merlyn, as much as I enjoy you guys ripping into each other, I think every situation calls for a time to say enough is enough. Ed, I know you enjoy baiting Merlyn but do you have to contimue to do it here? Merlyn, I respect your right to have a view point different from mine, and a right to post here, but c'mon, what do you get from calling Ed stupid ?

If you have been reading the forum Merlyn, you know there is a core of scouters who agrere with you Public Schools should not charter BSA units, continuing to bicker with Ed, who is so blatantly baiting you is beyond comprehension.

Do you guys think you can discuss this without either calling each other stupid OR arguing the same point that has been explained for over two years now?

I just told you Ed, this statement of yours was a lie:

Yet Merlyn wants to say a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school having a rule of "No atheists allowed"

I have NOT said that a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school having a rule of "No atheists allowed".

I HAVE said that a public school chartering a BSA unit is the same as a public school running a "No atheists allowed" youth group.

Notice that these are two different statements.

Also notice that my denial of the first statement does NOT mean I think it would be lawful for a school to have a rule of "No atheists allowed" - my denial is only that I have not made the comparison you've indicated.

That's what's called a straw man attack - misrepresent your opponent's actual argument and argue against the misrepresentation of that argument, instead of your opponent's real argument.