Socioeconomic status and Race

Sad to say it was me who first mentioned non-white Scouts in the uniform thread.

Boleta was right when he was kind enough to bring to my attention that race doesn't play any part in whether a Scout wears a uniform or not.

I don't like to think that I am in any way a raciest, at least I try not to be. In everything I do I try to give everyone the same respect and treat them all the same.

I do also have to own up to not buying into all the sad stories about poor kids who can't afford to do stuff or buy stuff in Scouting. I believe that we offer everyone opportunities to raise the money that will pay for their participation in the program. I know that some people will think that this is harsh and might go against "Help Other People At All Times."

I feel that we are doing the children that we serve a dis-service when we give them handouts.

While treating everyone with respect should go without comment. We as an organization are not color blind, nor should we be. The Scout reach program is going out of its way to bring more minorities into Scouting. One has only to look at this months edition of Scouting Magazine and see the Scout Reach Soccer program which is aimed at and for Hispanic Children in the hope that they will join Cub Scouting. At the District level we have gone out of our way to work at recruiting more black youth into the program.

As an organization we embrace our diversity, we don't try and pretend that we are all the same. We do know that everyone from every race brings something to the table.

Baden Powell is quoted as saying "Show me a badly uniformed troop and I will show you a badly uniformed Leader." He never mentioned if they were rich or poor.

Our entire program is in the hands of the people who are the Leaders, I have seen Leaders who tell their Scouts that if it is there and you want to do it - Go for it you can do anything you aim for. On the other hand I have seen Leaders who say to the youth "It's too expensive you can't afford it!!"

We should never underestimate the determination of a young Lad who has set his sights on a goal. This determination can cross all socioeconomic lines and boundaries. As Leaders I feel we need to be overjoyed when a Lad sets a goal for himself and do everything we can to support him.

Eamonn.

With the emotions running so hot and high on this topic and such a variety of opinions I think the moderators should close this thread as well. Eamonn, even though we disagree on some points I think you are a true gentleman in the way you handle yourself. Kudos to you.

I believe in the ability of humans who are willing to apply hard work and their own abilities to make anything work, regardless of the hurdles they may have to overcome.

Regardless of field, race, or socioeconomic status at birth, one doesn't have to look very hard to find a success story or a failure.

Unc.

TrailPounder,

"Ever notice how people who have been called a racist immediately go defensive and backpeddle and just have to prove to the guy throwing the bomb that he is JUST NOT ONE OF THOSE RACISTS."

How would you have preferred Boleta to respond after having been called a racist???????? You OBLITERATED him because he denied being a racist???

jd