Are we really hated by the rest of the world? Does anyone actually know that as a fact? I would be interested on how that data was gathered.

Do some hate the USA? Yes, no doubt. History is filled with examples of people who were hated for poor reasons or no reason at all. But there are others who love the USA, envy us, admire us, risk there lives to get here, leave there homes and families to work here. A federal court judge, at a ceremony I attended where a hundred new US citizens were sworn in, said that more people choose to become citizens here each year than in any other country.

These broad generalizations condemning the United States are more a condemnation of our educational system than of the reality of the world.

We are not perfect as a people or as a government, but the news is often full of stories or people who want nothing more in their life than to come to the USA, when was the last time you new of several families who crowded onto a fishing boat so that they could escape from America to go to Haiti, or any other place.

It's easy for those in other countries to take their verbal shots at the USA, many of them have never had the freedom to complain about their country.

I couldn't care less how others view us. I don't think the forefathers fashioned the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution with any concern of how others would think of us. God forbid we become a people who govern, or are governed by, the results of a global popularity poll.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I would say that you could start by cleaning up your industrial areas and signing on to the Kioto agreement (why havn't you?)."

From what I've read, we haven't signed the Kyoto agreement because it would punish us and allow "developing" nations to continue to pollute.

We might not be as clean as Canada but then we do a whole lot more than you do.

As for wages in Southeast Asia, we have no say in that matter, that's really up to the local governments. Isn't it? First you chastise us for getting involved in other countries' affairs then you want us to go setting labor policy for other countries.

Who's the most hated nation. Who cares what Ted Kennedy and the lying goofball from canada have to say or think. All you have to do is look at the millions, and millions, of people trying to get into the USA. Nobody's trying to get out. Even the people who spit out the hate, the anarchists, activists, and other goofballs, don't want to leave. They just want to talk. Blah, blah, blah, Who cares what they think?

I hate Canada. Now what are you going to do to fix it? Get on it. Make it like I want it to be.

Yikes, TP - that hurt.

FOG,

Do you honestly place all of the blame of under-paid childworkers of international sweatshops soley on the local governments of that area? Is it OK that corporations from USA, Canada, and Europe set these factories up and run them the way they do because its not happening in their own countries and thus they can't be held responsible for anything that goes on there? America is not the only country guilty of things, but your faults are magnified by the envious population in question.

I never read anything in the Kyoto agreement that allowed developing nations to continue polluting. It was written as a global commitment to reduce fossil fuel and polluting substances usage. It might require that certain nations, such as Canada, USA, and Australia which all have higher ecological footprints reduce by more than other countries, but I hardly see that as a reason to refute signing on to it.

OGE,

From what I recall of British North American history, The American Revolution was to drive the British loyalists and then army out of the Thirteen Colonies so they could be free. British armies maintained Upper and Lower Canada however, which were both then still British colonies. The newly confident America then extended the USA into the West but it wasn't until 1812 that they tried to invade Canada, and the British held them back. Interestingly enough, Canada's formation as a country was a result of the USA's own creation and ambition as a nation. With the North winning the war and looking north once more, the Canadian provinces agreed to Confederation in 1867 to better strenghten our defences in the event of another American invasion.

Achilleze:

I would like to see a more direct answer to Trailpounder's question. In the last paragraph of your above post, you accuse America of invading Canada. I don't think this was ever the case. If anything, we protected your land.

Answer, please.

Unc.

Uncleguinea,

Achilleez is correct. The United States did try to invade Canada during the War of 1812 and the attack was very unsuccessful. There were many British troops stationed along the Canadian border. With increased tensions between Britain and the US, some politicians felt that to attack these troops and conquer Canada would give the US prestige in the global community. The attack completely failed. Eventually, British troops even managed to burn down Washington DC. But, it was the US who attacked first militarily.

That was after hundreds of our Merchant Mariners were hijacked by the British in international waters. Commerce was stolen and men were kidnapped and impressed into the British Navy. I think I would rather fight alongside Johnny Taliban Lyndh than be in the British Navy in the early 1800s.

The British were supplying the Indians in the Northwest Territories with guns and whiskey and inciting them to attack and butcher the poor helpless farmers up and down the frontier who were only trying to scratch a living out of a couple acres of dirt.

We sent a couple of patrols to the North, Why would we even want to annex someplace like Quebec to the north, when Las Vegas was waiting for us out West?

"The British were supplying the Indians in the Northwest Territories with guns and whiskey and inciting them to attack and butcher the poor helpless farmers up and down the frontier who were only trying to scratch a living out of a couple acres of dirt.

We sent a couple of patrols to the North, Why would we even want to annex someplace like Quebec to the north, when Las Vegas was waiting for us out West?"

European settlers selling alchohol and guns to aboriginals was not something native to Canada. It was done in the USA as well as the most of the rest of Western Hemisphere.

A couple of patrols? It was called the War of 1812 because it was a WAR, American troops against British troops. For the record, the USA did want to acquire Quebec and Ontario much more than the West, because the areas around the Great Lakes were much more furtile, productive land.

The Canuck said, "Do you honestly place all of the blame of under-paid childworkers of international sweatshops soley on the local governments of that area?"

Sure. Why not? First you tell us that we need to keep our noses out of other countries business and then you want the US government to dictate how much foreign workers should be paid. What a hypocrite!

The Canuck revisionist blathered, "A couple of patrols? It was called the War of 1812 because it was a WAR, American troops against British troops."

It was a war. A war started by the British who attacked American shipping

"they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles and they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go, They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"