A Ringing Endorsement!!!

Good question, Eamonn, and I have one of my own. The bar at the top of this thread says that the thread has been "Read 0 times." How can it have been read zero times when there are 3 responses to the original post? Plus, I went away and came back and it STILL says zero times. Don't ANY of us count?

KS,

As someone who was born and raised in Oklahoma, just one state away from Mexico and with a Mexican restaurant on every other corner......I have no idea what it is. All I know is you'd have to milk a bunch of them to get much cheese.

In the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua, where cattle descended from animals brought from Europe provide a major means of sustenance, the production of cheese is an important and respected industry, and one which is still frequently carried out in the home. Ranchers arise early each day to milk the cows, initiate the curdling, and begin the process of making queso ranchero, the ubiquitous appellation for many different types of cheese, including the ricotta-like requeson, the smooth, moist panela, and the pale yellow queso chihuahua.

Like all people close to the land, the ranchers are subject to the whims of nature. A good rainy season means good grazing for the cattle, more milk, and a more productive cheese industry. When drought conditions occur, goats' milk is used to make cheese. Goats are capable of surviving on even the driest, thorniest vegetation, and their milk is five times easier to digest than cows milk. Although it contains significantly greater amounts of potassium, goat's milk is not nearly as popular as cow's milk for making cheese, and goat cheese is getting more difficult to find in the markets.

Mercados all over the country, in addition to their own regional specialties, sell cheese from the well-known cheesemaking areas. Besides Chihuahua, these include Oaxaca, Quertaro and Chiapas.

As someone also raised in Minnesota, I would say it is a cow's milk cheese referred to as asadero in Mexico. It is a good melting cheese so it will often be substituted with Monterey Jack or even (gasp) Mozzerella.

Actually there is a plant in the Oklahoma town of Watonga and their brand is Watonga cheese. Of course, they make all varieties and call them by their name, but the brand is Watonga. Mmmmmm, good cheese. You can buy bags of cheese curd which are great as a snack.