The Secret Documents

Fat Old Guys post made me wonder.............

Why does it seem the BSA has these "secret documents" the unit leaders aren't allowed to see unless they violate some policy contained in them?

A blessed Easter to all!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

What secret documents? Are you referring to the rules and regulations or the by-laws? I have heard them referred to as secret, but I have a copy of each. If not these, then what I missing? Curious minds want to know :)

Seriously folks! There are documents the BSA doesn't filter down to the unit level that we probably need to know about. Fat Old Guy posted one in another thread that deals with unit web sites. Most of us have them. I'm sure there are others like this we should have access to but don't!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Ed, FOG posted about it, and if memory serves, a link was provided to it. Now, if a document came be found and it could as FOG found it, and a link could be provided, its not really all that secret. One could make a very good argument that it should be publicized much better,(and it should have been) but poor publicity is not the same as keeping it a secret.

Do you have a specific example to share?

SR540Beaver, do you mean the one for use during the Summer Solstice or Autumnal Equinox as the Vernal Equinox season has just passed?

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

OGE,

My point is if Fat Old Guy didn't find it, we would have never know about it. These type of things can have a direct effect on our units. And if we don't know about them, how are we supposed to follow them!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

OGE,

DOH! My bad. I should have been more specific. I need the Summer Solstice secret ritual to use at summer camp.

Seriously folks. Most documents are readily available. Some you might have to ask to see. But around my council, that isn't a problem. If a document pertains to the charter between the charter organization and the BSA, there is no real reason for the BSA to hand me a copy when I register with a unit. I thought we had been over this before?

OK, I'm going to pick a nit or two here. FOG didn't "find" it. Many people are aware of it. I saw it at least a year ago when we were looking at re-doing our Pack web site. The national site has a search feature and a site map too if I remember correctly. The fact is that not each piece of information can all be on one page staring us in the face. Sometimes we have to look around, search and click on a few links to get where we are going. That is true with any web site. I can't tell you how many times I've sent my son after something only for him to tell me he can't find it. I walk in and find it immediately because rather than walk into the room and cast a glance, I actually look under a few other things and hold it up for him to see. I put in a little more effort than he did and got the results I wanted. If I can't find what I need on the internet, I send an e-mail or make a call to the Council office and get an answer.

Eamonn

Thanks for sending those documents to me. They where a real eye opener! Yes, I promise I will not let anyone else see them!

Should I have sent this via private message?

;)

Dan, Eammon

Θ*Μαρυ είχε ένα μικρό που αρνί το δέρας του ήταν άσπρο ως

χιόνι και παντού εκείνη η Mary πήγε το αρνί ήταν βέβαια να

πάει.

Την ακολούθησε στο σχολείο μια ημέρα και έκανε το γέλιο παιδιών

και παίζει για να δει ένα αρνί στο σχολείο