Problems with Charter Organization

"All activities are authorized within controlling legal guidelines."

Who said that?

" But that's not what the BSA Rules and Regs Scoutldr leader say."

Who is that?

"Assuming pdunbars description of the situation is accurate (I'm sure there is another side to the story), as you point out the COR appears to have followed all the proper BSA policies and still done everything wrong."

A big assumption! Never hear just one side of a story and assume its accurate. There is another entire vantage point we have no information on. pdunbar's lack of knowledge on scouting does not help support the story we are hearing.

I am glad the scouts continue to have a program and I hope the committee and leaders have a better relationship with their new CO.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never hear just one side of a story and assume its accurate.

Huh? Bob White said this? I all flustered! I though Bob's side was always accurate regardless of what the other side of the story is!

Bobo keeps yapping about how training would solve all the ills and create understanding throughout the world but he misses the point that pdunbar has been trained. I guess the difference is that he hasn't been through official Bobo Scouts of America training and learned the Bobo Scout way of doing things.

Who said "All activities are authorized within controlling legal guidelines"?

I did. I was making fun of your post where you said pdunbar's COR was fully withing his authority to do everything he did while totally dismissing the fact that the COR ran the unit into the ground. Sorry the satire evaded you.

Aside from my fat-fingered typing, on Sunday Scoutldr posted what seems to be the pertinent sections from the BSA Rules and Regulations relating to the disposal of unit assets. To date, no one has come up with anything which contradicts this section. What it says is that if a unit dissolves, the committee should settle any unit debts then turn everything over to the Council -- not the CO. If the CO is still around, it may hold the assets in trust pending the reorganization of the unit for use for the promotion of Scouting in general. No where does the policy say that the assets belong to the CO for them to do with as they please. Perhaps you have a reference which contradicts this, but this is rather clear.

As far as my "big assumption" that pdunbar's version of the story is accurate, how is that different from any other threads here? Are we going to limit debates to threads where everyone involved posts their version of events? Maybe Scouter-Terry will be willing to fund a series of fact-finding commissions to investigate every poster asking for advice on how to deal with a problem. I wonder how many tent ads he will have to sell to pay for that? Yes, I am making an assumption that pdunbar's story is accurate. You on the other hand are making assumptions about the COR's motivations for which there is absolutely no basis. I quote "It sounds more like they wanted different leadership in their unit and were taken staeps to accomplish that."

What's the difference between the two assumptions?(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

"As far as my "big assumption" that pdunbar's version of the story is accurate, how is that different from any other threads here?"

Perhaps we should insist on documentation when anyone announces that their son just made Eagle or that they were just awarded their beads.

When someone says, "I was talking to my DE . . ." how do with know that the other person was in fact the DE and not someone posing as a DE?

This could get complicated.

"Yes, I am making an assumption that pdunbar's story is accurate."

If you are assuming that what pdnbar said is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't), then what know is the unit has at least one active, unhappy volunteer, (who says they are Wood Badge trained but never learned the roles and responsibilities of the COR or charter organization), who has a poor relationship with the chartered organization, is complaining about the IH and COR who, by all the information we have at this time, have not done anything that is outside of the authority they possess as a Chartering Organization.

The troop has been functioning without adequate leadership and wants to take the assets of the CO and leave and go to another charter organization where for all we no the only thing that changes is the location of the meetings.

Pdunbar's story paints the unit in a worse light than the CO in most ways.

So my comments have ben based only on what I know to this point, what pdunbar has shared and how a real life, healthy, scouting program works.

I have been trying to find time since yesterday to respond again to BobWhite, but TwoCubDad's several posts have it all covered, and then some. I agree with everything he said... matter of fact I am not sure I have ever disagreed with TwoCubDad. Scary, isn't it? So whatever he says, assume I'm saying it too, and maybe I'll jump back into the discussion and maybe I won't. Right now I think I'll go to another thread and discuss religion with Rooster.

Well, except, TwoCub, you still haven't learned that when you use satire or make a joke, you need a smiley face or what I do sometimes, just say "That was satire." I almost always "get it," like the controlling legal authority of course gave me a good laugh, but as you may have figured out, not everybody has our sense of humor. :)

Pdunbar, the one loose thread here as far as I am concerned is, did the old CO finally, at the end, agree to give up the money and equipment? You say the new CO is getting it, but you don't say exactly how that happened. If the old CO saw the light and gave it up, then as I said before, all's well that ends well. The important thing is that the boys will have continue to have Scouting, and it is much easier to do that if the parents and other friends of the troop have a CR to deal with who is not on a power trip.

and it is much easier to do that if the parents and other friends of the troop have a CR to deal with who is not on a power trip.

or

leaders on a power trip.

My mistake again Twocubdad (and NJ since you are of one voice).

You see where I come from when you quote somebody as saying something they really didn't say, and you know they didn't say it, we don't call that satire. We call it, hmmm how to be diplomatic...in the Bible it is referred to as "bearing false witness".

Satire as I recall is when you use wit to expose human vice. Was that witty, I must have missed it. Is saying that the CO followed the rules a vice? If so than I erred again.

Then of course if its not a vice, and your quote was a falsehood then that would change things a little wouldn't it?

I guess if I had the choice, I would rather lack your idea of a sense of humor, than lack a sense of honesty. (you picked a heck of a team mate NJ)

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Anybody? Is Bob White always this arrogant? I do not mean him any harm, but is he the God of scouting. Earlier in one of my post I clearly stated the the Co has c the right of control. I just believe when they are so far removed from reality that perhaps some of you would have suggestions to help me. We fought for the equipment and funds for the boys and it was very difficult to do without invovling them, but I am very proud of the fact that we were able to obtain our equipment.

NJcub

Our new CO asked for the equipment. Our new CO has well over 150 members, our old CO only had 10. They didn't dare fight the new CO, esp since the new CO was actually the original CO.

BobWhite

I try to do my best!! Ever hear those words?

Of course there are 2 sides of any story. I did not come here for a vote of innocent or guilty Judge BW. I came here to help the boys in the troop. We tried to work with the CO. I actually was a member of the CO ten years ago. BW you assume that we didn't try to work it out!

pdunbar asked, "Anybody? Is Bob White always this arrogant? I do not mean him any harm, but is he the God of scouting."

Bobo Blanco arrogant? Nah. Nope. Never. Not him but he has been described one wit as a pompous, arrogant, pedantic book-thumper.

He's not the only book-thumper, there's this other guy who just last week railed on about spelling and grammar, so we also have a self-rightous Dictionary-Thumper. Speaking of thumping-books, who thumped on the Religious Award book and said the Catholic kid couldn't wear the knot? Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump