The Beatles? Appropriate for Scouting?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hesitate to even post because I know FOG posts things like this just to annoy people and to see what kind of anguished reactions he can provoke. I suspect it's all an act, for all we know FOG has every Beatles' CD, the Beatles sheet-music wallpaper and the Ringo night-light from when he was 6. (I just made the last two up, I suspect that at least the last one, or something like it, did exist and would be worth $ if you had it now. I remember having a Beatles lunch box, I wish I had it now.)

But, despite the fact that this thread is not to be taken seriously, there actually is a point lurking here somewhere. When I listen to the Beatles or any other group, or watch actors on tv or in the movies, I never think, "gosh, what good role models." Or bad. I either like the entertainment or I don't. One annoying thing about our culture today is that there is so much intense focus on the private lives of people in entertainment, and the entertainers are not innocent victims, they cleverly let us know what they are doing so we will pay more attention to them. I heard one pundit on the radio today, saying to please call in and give suggestions about what we can do so that we never have to hear the name "Paris Hilton" again. I'd love to join that campaign, but she's just the name of the month. I am sick of hearing about Tom and Nicole and Ben and J-Lo and Tommy and Pamela (I know, that's old news, People Magazine has probably thrown out those files already) and Whoever and Whoever. I don't even want to know who is going out with who or marrying or divorcing or what tapes are on the Internet or anything, but it's like a constant barrage. I sign on to America Online and see right on the welcome screen, So and so is divorcing so and so, and then on the bottom of the screen, oh by the way, three more dead in Iraq. But all the celebrity gossip news must have an audience, or it wouldn't be out there. That supply is meeting some kind of demand. So, as a New Year's resolution, maybe if any of you actually care about who is sleeping with who, just stop caring for a year and maybe it will go away. I can't take it any more.

As a final note, if you look at almost 50 years of rock stars and what we (unfortunately) know about their private lives, the Beatles actually come across as pretty tame. John probably less so than the others, but consider at the time of his death he had been a devoted family man for years. Compare that to someone like Gene Simmons of Kiss, I heard a bit of an interview with him recently, he is probably in his 50's and still inviting his female fans up to his hotel room after shows -- and inviting the fan to bring her 19-year-old daughter along as well. I don't want to know, but alas, I know anyway...

" I suspect it's all an act, for all we know FOG has every Beatles' CD, the Beatles sheet-music wallpaper and the Ringo night-light from when he was 6."

Nope, don't have a single Beatle's album, either as a CD or LP. I do have "Hard Day's Night as a Single," if my memory is right it came as a promotion with cereal.

" I either like the entertainment or I don't. One annoying thing about our culture today is that there is so much intense focus on the private lives of people in entertainment, and the entertainers are not innocent victims, they cleverly let us know what they are doing so we will pay more attention to them."

I don't separate the two. Why should I give money to someone whose lifestyle or politics I don't like? To help him buy more drugs?

I won't go see a Spielberg movie or a Harrison Ford movie. Steisand? Forget about it.

"This thread reminds me of when Nancy Reagan made some critical statements about the Beach Boys when they were selected to play in Washington DC on the 4th of July back in the late '70s."

Neither President nor Nancy Reagan ever said anything of the kind. That was James Watt, Reagan's Interior Secretary, and he said it circa 1981-82 even though the Beach Boys had performed several times on Independence Day in Washington throughout the 70's during the Ford and Carter administrations. I recall Mr. Watt receiving some sort of Silver Foot award for that faux pas. I also believe the Beach Boys were back in DC the following year.

FOG says:

Why should I give money to someone whose lifestyle or politics I don't like? To help him buy more drugs?

The answer to the first question is, if you really think it matters, you shouldn't, if you don't want to. If I don't think it matters, well, then, it doesn't matter (to me).

Do you apply this to everything? Do you ask the owner of a grocery store who he voted for in the last election before deciding whether to shop there?

As for the second question quoted above, if we're still talking about the Beatles, I suspect the only "drugs" purchased by the two surviving Beatles these days is for the treatment of arthritis and other things that some people in their 60s have to deal with.

If you did buy a Beatles CD today, I am not sure who would get the royalties for the performing rights anyway. It is probably a pretty long and complicated list with some corporate fingers in the pie, Paul and Ringo, the estates of John and George, and various other claimants. Yoko would probably get some $ so that isn't a big plus for me, on the other hand hopefully George's widow is getting some $ as well. Oh, and Paul just became a father again, though with what he already has he can probably buy all the Pampers they need.

FOG, you are correct about it being wrong to cast stones at each other. I understand that everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory we seek. I want to believe that Scouting is like the church where it brings together all of those in need and serves to bind their wounds. Then we can minister one to the other.

Ministers need as much help as any ordinary person. Reflect on the priests that have broken their vows and hurt so many. This may be the worst kind of damage because it came wrapped in robes bearing a cross. Are we to conclude that the Church is no longer appropriate for Scouting?

If we look hard enough for those that transgress, there won't be anyone left that is appropriate. Forgiveness must be the weapon of choice or we all perish in our anger. FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

NJ Dude asked, "Do you apply this to everything? Do you ask the owner of a grocery store who he voted for in the last election before deciding whether to shop there?"

As much as I can. I don't buy Dockers or Levis. I don't buy Valvoline. If I know that a store actively supports organizations or causes that I don't like, I take my money elsewhere and write a letter to store owners.

"If you did buy a Beatles CD today, I am not sure who would get the royalties for the performing rights anyway."

I believe that Michael Jackson gets a big chunk.

The Fuzzy Ursine said, "FOG, you are correct about it being wrong to cast stones at each other."

FOG replies, "Huh?" I believe that public stonings in the town square are an effective punishment.

molscouter,

I stand corrected. The light bulb went off in this poor man's brain as soon as I saw your post. Yes, it was Mr. Watt, Sec. of the Interior under President Reagan, who would have had authority over the National Park Service and the 4th of July Festivities.

While I like the Beach Boys and Beatles, neither could be characterized as good role models, nor could most entertainers. There are probably a couple.

Among the world's shortest lists:

Rock Stars That Are Good Moral Role Models

Donny Osmond?

SA

FOG replies, "Huh?" I believe that public stonings in the town square are an effective punishment.

Fog, this is true. I believe even Jesus did not disapprove of this form of punishment. He only asked that "Let he that is without sin, cast the first stone."

Rooster can now officially join this thread. If there is a rock star that is a true good moral role model, I'm sure he can enlighten us all. :)

SA

SA Wrote "Among the world's shortest lists:

Rock Stars That Are Good Moral Role Models

Donny Osmond? "

LMBO.........

Sorry but Donny wasn't a little bit rockinroll.

How about Pat Boone? Did did do a cd of heavy metal covers.

His rendition of Ozzy's "Crazy Train" and Metalica's "Enter Sandman" puts Donny to shame.

I'm sort of with Fat Old Guy on this one. The only difference is I pick my fights. Example, we as a family don't do Disney because of them extending benefits to same sex couples & we don't buy Levi's because they pulled their support from Scouting.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

You know... the very fact that you are asking whether or not the Beatles are appropriate for scouting is prying into their personal lives. Music is music, you can listen to it and enjoy it or listen to it and not enjoy it. When you start deciding who is a good role model then you start investigating these celebrities personal lives, something you claim not to do.

If scouts want to listen to the music, why should they not be able to? I enjoy Led Zeppelin music, and I havn't a clue what their names are, where they are from or if they do drugs.. ect.

After being taken to task by the morality police for using "TFB," I was surprised to see that so many of you are Beatles fans.

The correlation there being what? That if you are disgusted by a scouter using obscenity on a public forum, then you cant enjoy music?

The Beatles were atheists, drug using criminals, involved in casual sex with multiple partners, and just not good role models. Not really an appropriate topic for a Scouting forum

I agree they are not appropriate content for this board, but then again only the originator of this thread brought those topics up. Everyone else simply talked about their music.