need parents to help out

In the past year our troop has grown from about 6-8 Scouts to

over 20. The problem we are facing now is a lack of participation

from parents. The parents we did have that had large vehicals dropped out, and those who joined and participate have small vehicals. We have a SM that insists that campouts are for men only.

Guess what? We have many single women with boys in our troop. I am always willing to go, but, since I am a woman, that counts me out.

This last campout we had to cancel because we had only 7 seat belts.

Any suggestions?

Last month I sent out postcards for a family meeting. No one showed.

We even made phone calls. This week we will try again. We are desparate! I am about to tell parents we will start hiring a bus driver and campouts will cost $100 each month instead of $10 each.

OK, I'll start:

First problem: SM does not have the right to establish rules excluding women, especially those who are parents of scouts. As committee chair, YOU sign the adult applications, not the SM. So, if the ladies want to become registered leaders and attend campouts, bring it on!

scoutldr is correct. Gender doesn't apply when talking about adults. The only time it does is cabin camping & making sure there are separate facilities for both genders.

Glad to say we have never had this problem. Since you can't get the parents to attend a parents meeting how about holding one either before or after a Court of Honor? I would hope mom and/or dad would show up to see their Johnny receive awards! Then you can go over the problems & solicit help. You might be suprised at what happens!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Transportation--good point wingnut. The troop my son is in has a permission slip for each trip, and it requires the following info:

I am tenting with________.

I have arranged transportation with _________.

Parent's signature ___________.

We have had boys calling here to see if they can go with my husband, since he often goes camping with the troop. Likewise, when he could not go, our son called around to see who he could a ride with.

Several older boys recently left the troop, and their parents were regular drivers. Now there is a shortage of drivers. So there is discussion of renting a van for those who do not have transportation, but they will pay for it.

As for men only, that is not BSA policy.

RE: gender limits on adults involved in troop - especially campouts.

Please folks - we've been through this in great detail.

You're right - the SM cannot ban women on his own, but the Chartering Org can have rules that say only adult males may be registered as leaders in the troop they sponsor.

Don't yell at the messenger. Search the archives if you want to know more.

committeechair:

I think it is time to pick up the telephone and call your District Executive for either the district commissioner's phone number and or professional advice.

Now here's some free advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it) from a senior BSA professional -- an Assistant Scout Executive, not a national guy and one who has only been in three councils as a professional)

The Scoutmaster who says campouts are for men only is either sexist or just plain lazy. If women are on a campout, one need to watch shower, lodging, and latrine arrangements, but there is no BSA prohibition against females on campouts. Period. End of report.

If, as you say, many of the boys in the troop are being raised by single women and the scoutmaster's attitutide is as you say, my guess is that parents (meaning single mothers) would be involved, if he was out of the way.

If you are the committee chairman, and have the backing of your chartered organization, it is within your realm of responsibility to get rid of the Scoutmaster.

If you don't have the backing of your chartered partner, I would advise you to start another troop at the nearest chartering organization you can find to your home. Either way, you'll need the help of your district executive or commissioner.

The other folks who have given you advice have one thing in common and it is correct -- females in the BSA are equal to males -- there is no rule, anywhere in the BSA that says that camp outs are male only. In fact, I'd be nervous if that were the case.

Dave Steele

Assistant Scout Executive

The issue is that we aren't getting the # of men needed to go on the

campouts. We have many single moms in our group, but they have been

told the men go on the campouts. This isn't a rule set by our Charter Organization. In fact, our Charter Org. has very little to do with us, except to give us a roof over our head. We do not get any funds from them. Our SM is the one who is setting the rule. However, he is on the way out. As soon as we can find someone to take over the role of SM. (Yet another problem....)

Of course we know the SM can't ban the women, but you still have to work with him while he is in place. So why not ask a few of the more eager women to go to Leader Specific training for Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM) and have them register as ASMs? It only takes a weekend at most. We have women ASMs (my wife is one!) in our troop and some are even trained as High Adventure trek leaders! It would be very difficlut for the SM to refuse their help on any outing, and I think the ladies would have lots of fun participating with their sons as Scouters rather than just Moms. My own experience is that the boys get plenty of the "Mom role" at home and will really like the new identy a mother can have as an ASM.

to KA6BSA: BTW, when my son joined the troop 2 years ago, I had

been the den/Webeleos leader of his cub den since he was in 2nd grade. I was in no hurry to throw in the towel. I came into the troop and said I wanted to be an Assistant Scoutmaster. I had just gone to Outdoor Scoutmster Fundamentals and was gung-ho. "No. Woman are committee members. Men are Scoutmasters." Grrrr. I have been quite vocal about this over the years. They know I am not happy with the sexism.

If they want this to be "all men," they better get the fathers in gear. They haven't been doing their jobs!

I'm nor sure yo are listening yet committeechair. The Scoutmaster has no say in who is a committee member and who is an Assistant SM. That is determined by the people who sign the adult application, specifically the Committee chair and the Institiona Head or the Charter Organization Representative.

cc-

who made this rule? I'll bet it wasn't the scouts! Since the troop has grown so much, it might be time to re-visit the rules the boys should be making. Most of the newer scouts are probably used to having moms along.

I do see a value to having the fathers on the campout as ASM's, but it's been my experience that having moms along who know the program does not detract from the overall experience. Moms and/or dads who don't horn-in all the time but let the program work as it should are an asset.

BTW - it sounds like the charter organization needs a good kick in the attention button. You seem like the person to do just that. Don't let them get away with doing that little. Remember, united way just cut you loose, you're going to need the CO to get involved...

bd

CC

here's a thought, show up with gear to go on the trip. You are a trained leader AND a parent of a scout going on the trip. As Boy Scouts has no closed or secret societies and is open to parents at all times, the scoutmaster cant refuse your participation. If you could get a few other moms to do the same thing, it might be easier.

Of course, you may lose you scoutmaster over this, but I am not sure it would be much of a loss from what you have said. WHo knows, you may be changing from CC to Scoutmaster, after all even Baden-Powell said women could be scoutmaster!