from the desk of a pompous, arrogant, pedantic, closeminded bookthumper

Fellow Posters,

Thank you for the kind support shown for what I too feel has been an unwarranted barrage of abuse from FOG.

I make no apologies for supporting the written program of the BSA. I am thoroughly convinced that it is not only a good youth educational program, I believe it is the best. There are enough posters representing their own version of scouting that I think representing the contents of the program is a healthy counterbalance, and after all we did agree to deliver the "scouting program" to the youth we serve.

So I admit without shame to book thumping what I think is a heck of a fine book.

I do not embrace the title of pompous or arrogant with the same enthusiasm. My friends (of which I am glad to say I have many) say that I am knowledgable and secure in my use of the methods of scouting, as well as successful at it. If my posts come off as pompous I apologize. I do not have the skill to transmit my personality through my prose as effectively as FOG does.

To my main point. I once heard of a fellow who had a jack ass that followed him everywhere he went. It followed him to work, kicking and braying at those around him. It followed him on errands displaying all the characteristics one would expect of a jack ass. It even followed him home and waited for the man to walk outside again where he would continue his kicking and braying.

Bewildered the man knelt in prayer and asked God what he needed to do to rid himself, his friends, and his family of this annoying jack ass. Then the man recieved a revelation. A voice from the clouds boomed out and said.."well for starters you should quit feeding him".

Bearing that advice in mind...please check your private mesaging e-mail boxes. If you have posted a question in the last 24 hours you probably have a reply waiting from me there. It would be unfair of me to continue wastiing your time posting here only to invide more nonsense from FOG.

So,until FOG either changes his behavior (which I do not expect), or until Terry and the other board operators choose to rid us of FOG again (as they did when he violated the board rules before), I see no need to continue to feed him on this board.

Anyone who wishes my input on a question is free to email me at bobwhitebsa@hotmail.com

Happy scouting

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come back Shane (I mean Bob), come back!

A scout is:

Trustworthy - be true to your words or at least the great BSA book that you have been thumping.

Loyal - you have a legion of scouter that listening to your words of wisdom, then you in turn should return the loyalty.

Helpful - the word speaks for itself and through your words, although, even I sometimes disagree.

Friendly - make an enemy your friend or simply ignore him.

Courteous - trading blows with he who wants to provoke is to play his discourteous game.

Kind - you have devoted your time on this board to help others who seeks the ways of BSA.

Obedient - BSA, BSA, BSA

Cheerful - 95% of the time is not bad, you reserve the 5% rights to get ticked off at stupidity.

Thrifty - you also reserve the rights to choose your words carefully so that other can learn or interpret as they wish.

Brave - you don't have to quit because a noise appeared out of the blue. Stick it through for there will be others who seeks the answers from the Book!

Clean - of body and mind ... the scouting ways.

and Reverend - all is well will end well. He and everyone have to answer to the Man Upstairs.

If I had taken things that were said to me as I took the Cubmaster position three years or along the way seriously, I would have quit the second day. Instead, I found out that somehow and sometime along the way, I made an impact on the boys in the Pack. I guess that my point is that you are here for a reason and that reason is for the scouters who come here to obtain advices from a group of great people. You are not here (nor am I or others) to read to a barrage of insults and criticisms from a school bully. I guess that when Fat Old Man gets out of his fog and comes to realize that all who involve in scouting serve the same purpose, then he would be a different man.

YIS,

1Hour

Bob,

I have found your posts to be very informative and have helped me and the troop I serve greatly. Please do not stop posting. You know Bob sometimes you need someone that goes by the book and yes it is a very good book at that. I have committed to reading it cover to cover every year. And you know what Bob, do you know who got me thinking I better go out and buy this book and read it...well you did, yes it was you I figured this guy knows so much about Scoutmaster fundamentals and the patrol method and what it takes to serve a troop.

To compliment you further when I read the initial posting from a forum member I scroll down to see and say to myself "I wonder what Bob says about that"

I wish I have is an hour of your time to pick your brain and learn from your experiences in Scouting to make myself better and to make my troop better.

Here's saluting you...Yours in Scouting

Ron

While Mr Bob White and I do not at times see eye to eye. I have said that He WOULD be a welcome addition to the District Committee, on which I serve.

Sad to say Bob, that I think that you are not right about this one.

If you stop posting. Not only will I lose out on your opinions which I do value.

It also means that I miss out on disagreeing with you.

While I don't wish to be rude about Mr Fat Old Guy.

I would think that most of the people who read and post in this forum can see what is right and what is wrong.

As everyone knows, there have been times when I have been wrong.

Not so long ago I got on my high horse about something and was in the wrong.

Then I remember that our Man Of Steele, got upset when I called DE's "Nitwits" !!!

When I stick my foot in my mouth. I do try to put it right.

We have a lot of really outstanding people in this forum. I really do think that 99.9% are it this for the good of our youth.

Please count yourself in this number.

We have both been in this organization to know that there will always be a few who just don't get "It."

I would also hope that I'm not the only one who can see that at times you do have your tongue in your cheek.

You will of course do as you see fit.

But I for one would hope that you reconsiser.

Please don't let the 0.01% hold the winning hand.

Eamonn

Bob,

I had to look up "pedantic"! Good word! It does sort of describe you. LOL :) It's always hard to "hear" how you sound in an email. You can hear it in your head as you type and you know where you put emphasis and inflection, but that doesn't come out in the written word. Each reader adds emphasis and inflection as they read, and so you could be misunderstood. I've been guilty of the same thing myself.

Don't stop posting, I need to improve my vocabulary some more!

Bob,

If you do not post your answers on the forum, those of us who like to read answers to other's posts to learn the official program will not be able to.

Please reconsider your current position.

I had to go back and read this thread twice, and then I didnt believe it, so I read it again.

Bob, I dont believe that youd allow a fat old man to chase you from this forum. You would not allow one of your scouts to be intimidated like this and Im surprised that youd allow it to happen to yourself. Would you allow a heated debate about religion to cause you to change religion? I suspect not. Than why would you allow a heated debate about scouting to cause you to drop out from this forum.

Bob, this forum is clearly another outlet for you to indulge you passion for scouting. That passion is evident in virtually all of your postings. Dont allow a fat old man to take that away from you.

I, too, have learned a lot from BW over the year or so I've been on the boards. I generally agree with 90% of what he says but also enjoy a good debate over the remaining 10%. If he is truly signing off the boards, his input and perspective will be missed.

But people, PULLLEEEESSS! This thread is getting awfully deep. Let's try to maintain a little dignity and self respect!

I continue to learn alot about the Scouting program from all of you !!!!

I've been in Scouting for many years, and it's nice to see the challenges of Scout Troops across the nation are very similar.

If Bob wants to take a break or leave permanently, that's fine. I've long since known where to find answers to my BSA questions. It's just fun to watch everybody react to Bob's statements and responses. They're clear, concise, blunt, but most of all, correct and verifiable. He refers you to the document and page number for "crying out loud."

sst3rd