Has anyone noticed?

The proper way to display the American flag is with the stars and blue field in the upper left. I think everyone here knows that. A flag upside down means distress or surrender. A flag with the stars and blue field displayed in upper right means treason.

Has anyone noticed that our American troops in Iraq are wearing their uniform flag depicting the flag with blue field and stars in upper right?!?!?!? Watch the news, pay attention, there is a message here that I think we are supposed to notice.

ASM514

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are incorrect about the the correct display of the flag on a uniform, and I take offense to your comment. It certainly is not showing a scouts duty to country nor is it loyal or courteous. You owe an apology to the people who defend this nation with thier lives so that you can make innane comments like that.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I Beg your Pardon! I am a member of fifth generatrion military ancestory. You Sir should be ashamed to suggest that by flying a flag from the pole by the stripes is a correct way to diplay a flag. Read your Boy Scout bible you proclaim to be your life and you will see what the proper way to display the US flag is. I ask you this, look at your Boy Scout uniform and tell me how your flag on your right shoulder is presented? Left? Or Right?

Maybe we should just turn our flag upside down and disply the blue and stars on the lower right? If you turn the Boy Scout flag upside down, blue and stars are on lower right, not upper right. To make the blue and star on upper right requires a re-tool of the standard. THE STANDARD since 1870.

Stop being so self proclaimed GOD of knowledge and accept the foot you have placed into you own mouth.

ASM514(This message has been edited by ASM514)

And I want to add that you cannot possibly be as offended as I am when I see our boys in service (which my son is) wearing the US flag in reverse. You either need to back off, or start paying attention Bob.

ASM514

asm514,

Crow is not a very tasty dish. This has already been discussed in these forums and it is the accepted way the military wears the flag on their uniforms. Go to this thread to read the discussion. And if it'll make you feel any better, BW didn't post in that thread, so you won't have him to get hot and bothered about. By the way, BW is right about 99% of the time. Irratating? Yes, to some. Beneficial? Yep!

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=26912(This message has been edited by kwc57)

ASM514,

To recap what I think you'll find in the thread mentioned, the mility has chosen to display the flag on the uniform in a fashion that depicts it flying in the breeze as the soldier moves forward. Because it is placed on the the opposite shoulder from what we are used to, it must be shown "Backward". It is curious to me why they needed to have the flag on the other sleeve, necesitating the reverse view, but that appears to be the reason. It was a new one to me, too.

I really doubt the mility, in total, has decided to make some type of political statement by doing this. The tone of your post seems to make that arguement. Bob White reacted to what seems to be an unpatriotic statement. I can see where he read that into your post. I also think he might have over reacted a bit.

Mark

ASM514,

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon - or at least, not without knowing exactly what you're trying to imply. So, could you please elaborate? I hate to be blunt, but if BW made the right assumption (i.e., youre are insinuating that the U.S. military is somehow making a political statement against the President), then I must agree. That assertion is INNANE! If it's something else, please explain.

As a dad, I can sympathize with your situation. I would go crazy if my son was serving in the Middle East right nowit is very dangerous duty. When I remember, I pray for those guys. My heart goes out to all of those young men (and women) and their families. So, I understand your concern for your son. However, I think youd be better off praying for him and our leaders, as opposed to denigrating our President.

Here is my two cents....

I have never been in the military, but the way it has been explained to me is that military uniforms have the flag with the blue field in the upper right...Because that's the way the flag looks when you lead into battle...picture the civil war days when you had flag bearers charging, that's how the flag would look.

I've never heard that it means treason and if they were trying to make a statement by sewing it on differently on their uniform how far would that really go. Don't you really think that some C.O. would notice and take action?

ASM514

> There is no pole orientation on a uniform.

> Many us have family in the military

> They chose their profession and knew the risks, and although I am concerned and even frightened at times for their safety they are proud of who they are and who their Commander-in-Chief is.

> I am convinced by your first response to me that your original comment was meant in the derogatory way I understood it. And though your son is risking his life to allow you that freedom, I find it distasteful and certainly unfitting of a scout leader.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

One of the few rules of this forum is that there are to be no personal attacks. I think the negative nature of this conversation stems from some rash decisions made by both sides. Bob White started out with a very harshly worded comment. We should always give our fellow scouts the benefit of the doubt. A better response would have been "Am I right in assuming that you're saying______?"

This brought on a strong counter-attack that focused on Bob White personally. This is a big no-no for any intelligent conversation. Of course, I can see how Bob's comments warranted a strong come-back, but it shouldn't have happened.

I don't really know what type of person ASM514 is so I can't pretend to assume his intentions, but if I go off the criteria that he is a scout, then his intentions must be well-meaning. Always remember that.

Bob White is a very passionate man who expresses his passion in many of his posts. I remember he once gave an equally strong response to a post that attacked Trail's End Popcorn as being a low quality product to sell. He also (like many of us) likes to get in the last word.

Many people in this forum are very passionate about scouting, religion, and America. We should respect each others passion and we must remember not to let our passions take advantage of us.

Zahnada,

I do not appreciate being misrepresented in your post, especially when you do not produce any actual evidence. I have not asked for anyone to defend my response to ASM514's post. It offended me personally and I shared that. Others have tried to give him the opportunity to clarify what he meant and he has made his feeling quite clear.

As far as my equally strong response on The quality of Trail's End I disagree and have attached the link to support that point of view. In fact, your response to me was quite harsh until you realized I was not responding to your post and so you apologized and said that it was in fact you who had done what you accused me of, not me.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=25985#id_26298

So please if you are going to include me in your posts try to be a little more honest and a lot more accurate.

I was not rude to ASM514 I simply did not give him a free pass on what I saw as a demeaning comment toward our country and our military, as well as errant knowledge of flag etiquette.

Bob White

I don't guess anyone has thought of one obvious reason the flag patch may be "backwards" on the military uniforms.........

Think of all the commercially available "normal" flag patches that can be bought dirt cheap, anywhere (including Scout Shops).

How many BACKWARDS ones have you ever seen for sale, anywhere at any price?

Perhaps it is one method of helping prevent enemy troops from mimicing our uniforms and infiltrating our ranks, or carrying out atrocities while appearing to be US troops.......

Just a thought.........