gay leaders

I have been on the fence for a few years about gays being LEADERS for Scouts

The one issue that keeps coming up with not pushing me over to the Yes side of the fence is that.

As a leader we instill a little bit of ourselves into the Scouts, meaning to or not. (I started this debate with myself when I was a Den Leader) Most of the scouts in my den are in Boy Scouts and I see how I have molded them in some way, without even thinking about it or trying to do it.

Because of the above I have went to the side of the fence that agrees with the BSA policy.

My question to those of you who are on the fence or believe that gays should be leaders do you not think that we instill part of us in the Scouts?

I hope I instill something of myself in my scouts - both the boys and the girls. I'm hoping for kindness, courtesy, understanding, love, discipline, the increased self-esteem that comes from genuine accomplishment, and acceptance of different gifts and talents. Lessons about sex and denominational religion are not really on my agenda. I hasten to point out that neither troop I serve is chartered to a church or religious organization, I'm sure religion would be on the agenda if we were. Can't imagine why sex would be.

SagerScout, I must disagree. To a greater extent than you may realize, the personal circumstances of your life regarding sexuality, marriage, children, faith, and denominational affiliation are known to the scouts you serve. As a significant adult in their lives, the personal circumstances of your life do provide them with lessons in sex and religion. You bring to them all of who you are, good and bad, and you influence them and who they will become, much more than you will ever know.

We do instill a part of ourselves in our scouts. YET there are many things I don't want my scouts to pick up from me, so I try to leave those habits behind when I'm with my boys. There are may things the Cubs don't know about me. There are some things about me that most adults around do not know. I think we all have some of that.

Now, I am working with Cubs, not teenagers, there is a difference. The Cubs don't see me as much as a Boy Scout might see their Troop Adult leaders.

If the rational is that the boys may "pick up" being gay or that gay is okay, what about all the other things they may pick up --- smoking for one. Every one of us has character traits that we do not want the boys to follow.

Does that make any sense?

CubsRgr8,

I agree with your assessment. We are human. Our sexuality, while it may be subtle, is a part of us and is on display for the boys to see and potentially emulate. We need to be aware of that as a role model and mentor. Has anyone researched Baden-Powell's view on this subject? As I recall, while he agreed that it was the parents' job to teach boys about sex, he was not entirely opposed to the SM playing a role if the parents willingly yielded their responsibility. I'm pretty sure that's an accurate portrayal.