Little League to check adults' backgrounds

Associated Press

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Little League Baseball will require all its managers, coaches and volunteers to be checked against their state's list of convicted sex offenders.

Little League officials said their group is the first national youth sports organization to have such a requirement.

"We want to let anyone who would prey upon kids in the Little League program know that they're not welcome and we're going to do what we can to keep them out,'' said Stephen D. Keener, president of Little League Baseball Inc.

Little League has recommended that local leagues do background checks on volunteers since 1996, when USA Baseball suggested that all youth baseball organizations adopt such voluntary policies.

Keener said the high-profile sex-abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church and the ready availability of sex-offender registries convinced Little League that such checks should be made mandatory.

"The fact that the Catholic Church has been through what the Catholic Church has been through has certainly increased the public awareness and attention, as well,'' Keener said. "When you combine all of those factors, we felt this was the right time to do this.'' In 43 states and the District of Columbia, that information already can be obtained free over the Internet or from local law enforcement agencies. Local Little Leagues would be responsible for the fees for criminal background checks in the seven remaining states -- Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania and South Dakota.

OGE, I agree.

Yaworksi, not all rec depts are as good as yours. I've seen our rec dept go "we need a coach for these kids" at a tryout and take the first hand that went up, no background checks, no nothing. That was about 5 years ago. That's one reason why I watch my son practice ball.

It's not that scouting doesn't, it is that most charter organizations don't. Unit volunteers are selected and approved by the local charter organization. Screening is their responsibility not the BSA's. It is the CO's reponsibility to obtain and check references. Some do a very good job of this, many don't.

One problem is the way that many units recurit. When you say to the crowd of parents "We need somebody to..." what you are saying is you will take anybody who says yes. Units and Co's need to choose leaders not just sign anyone.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

ScouterPaul,

That's great. I think National should get on board & make the same arrangement with the local or state police departments to do backround checks. The cost would probably be minimal if any & would help weed out the bad apples!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

OGE, brings to ming a 12 year old team that had a catcher that sttod just shy of 6 ft and also was their pitcher. When he threw and contact was made with a bat, the bat lost usually with dents. My son was the pitcher and when this kid made contact I was PLEASED it was a home run and not a line drive.

Personal responsibility is one of the tenets of scouting. As leaders we have to watch, vet, and confirm the quality of the leaders that are put in front of the scouts. Professional checking of backgrounds in good, but does not replace the responsibility we have to personally ensure the safety of the scouts left in our care.

YIS