Scouting's Real Gay Policy

Why couldn't a thread started a year and a half ago with its last post being over a month ago be allowed to die?

This same issue keeps coming up and coming up and coming up. Nothing new is added to it. No progress is made. The only thing that is ever accomplished is to deepen the devide between the opposing sides and scare away the undecided/moderate croud from gitting into the debate.

I imagine we all have our views on this issue and will probably not change them based on on some post on the internet. Therefore further posts on this issue, while perhaps entertaining, serve no legitimate purpose on this forum. We are hear to advance Scouting. Wasting time doesn't advance Scouting.

Why can't we just move on?

If others insist on bringing this topic up ad nauseum I will eventually wade into it, but I am trying to resist.

Watching the debate on this topic is like watching someone beat their head against a wall.

Also, can anyone explain to me the merits of resurrecting a 13 page thread that no one possibly remembers the details of?(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies for not allowing the thread to die. I just joined today, and began reading from page one all the way through. Until I reached the last page, I was not aware that I was "resurrecting a 13 page thread that no one possibly remembers the details of."

"I imagine we all have our views on this issue and will probably not change them based on on some post on the internet. Therefore further posts on this issue, while perhaps entertaining, serve no legitimate purpose on this forum."

It may be correct that internet postings may not bring about change, but they do give an outlet to share opinions and, thus, maintain a dialogue. Those who were 'fence-sitters' may now be leaning to one position or the other, and not scared away.

No matter the length of the thread, or its span of time, there will doubtless be new members popping in all the time, reading something to which they cannot resist a response...and so the thread continues.

Dialogue is good. It is part and parcel of our democratic process. Without dialogue and intelligent discussion, where would we be?

You say:

My assertion that forming a new group doesn't make sense was because it does not make sense relative to this debate. It is akin to "I don't want you on my team, so why don't you go form your own team...but you still can't play with us."

No, it is akin to You have different values than we do that would interfere with us delivering our organizations mission. Therefore please respect our rights to deny your membership. We wish you the best of luck and encourage you to develop a program more suited to your interests while not demanding us to change our values and sacrifice our civil liberties.

And I disagree with your fear of open competition. The BSA is a business. We are in the Character education business. We need to sell our program and we need people to buy our product aka Scouting. We need to make more money than we spend or at least break even. And when we put our marketing plan together, whats it gonna say?

Were just a bunch of everyday people that dont have any firm set of beliefs, go with the flow, bend to political pressure, that camps out once in a while and sells popcorn

or

We instill character in young people and help them make ethical choices over their lifetime allowing them to achieve their full potential. We have a strong set of rules and high expectations of our members and demand that they live by the Scout Oath and Law.

Theres a reason Scouting is what it is and its not because of what others think we should be. It is because we have the courage to say who we are and what we believe regardless of what appears to be popular or politically correct.

Sorry, I suppose I was a bit harsh in my response. I just sometimes get a bit cranky I suppose.

I am all in favor of good dialouge, it is just that I have my doubts about the possibility of it on this subject. Though I am willing to give it a try.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.