A Call for Decorum

Lately it seems like a few posters on this forum have forgotten a scout is friendly, courteous and kind amoung many other attributes and I have to include myself. Perhaps it is because recent topics have touched on topics we are most passionate about. I dont know for sure, but could we try to stick to the topic at hand and not make comments concerning personality, intellect and other perceived charactor flaws of fellow posters?

If you beleive someone, (like me) is wrong, say so and state your case. What is of little use is to add that I am a fat-headed idiot and will be/am the cause for the downfall of Western Civilization.

To all I have knowing or unknowingly insulted in the past, I apologize. On my honor as a scout I will not denigrate a persons beliefs anymore. I may say I beleive them wrong and offer my reasoning, but I wont attack them because they believe something I dont.

Going along with OGE, I call truce. I will NOT be reading the Politics & Issues section anymore. I had a little wake up call recently about blood pressue (way to young for that and no visible reason why it went up), so I'm spending my time on something else.

Peace be with you.

Some posts on this site (mine included) have border on the edge of being un-Scout-like. Perhaps some have crossed over the line. We certainly need to be careful that this does not happen in the future. However, lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. Discussions concerning the uniform, camo, and BSA policy, should not be avoided. This forum has provided great advice on camping, Eagle projects, leadership techniques, and the like. Nevertheless, these so called "political" discussions are helpful too. In fact, in many ways they go to the core as to why so many us are in Scouting. As we all know, BSA is more about building strong character than campfires (at least I've always felt this way). Many of these conversations are not what they appear to be on the surface. I mean that in a good way. For example, a discussion about "camo" often turns into a debate concerning Baden-Powell's vision for Scouting. I don't want to revive the argument. It's merely an example. Here are a couple more obvious ones - BSA policies on atheism and homosexuals. Many, hopefully most Scouts, Scouters, and their families joined Scouting because of these polices, not despite of them. If we ignore these issues, than those people seeking to change those policies will eventually win. We need to remind ourselves as to why we believe the things we believe. I'd rather have these discussions on an open forum such as this so everyone is fully aware of the issues and the people seeking to change them. As opposed to ignoring them, or down playing them, while someone like Merlyn works in the background to change the program. One of the reasons many churches no longer believe in the things they use to is NOT because their spiritual leaders examined God's Word and prayed about the issues. It's largely because thousands of folks sat silently in the pews while dozens of noisy members (or even non-members) got their way. If you're silent because you agree with those people seeking change, then I guess I should shut up and be happy (obviously I don't want these changes). If you're silent because they are wearing you down, then I employ you to stay in the fray to preserve BSA as it is - A first rate program for boys that not only teaches outdoor skills, but traditional values, and love for God, country, and family.

Rooster, I am not saying lets not debate those issues, or any issue. I am saying we debate in a scout like manner.

Derisions on style of argument and sarcastic comments do not further the process of idea exchange. Perhaps some of our posters are blessed with a much higher intellect than most of us, but using that intellect to bully another is not infomation/idea exchnge, it is a waste of God given talent

Rooster, I am one of those that have remained silent, not because I agree with those seeking to destroy Scouting, nor because I have been worn down. Rather, I have kept silent because I see no particular positive benefit to be gained from jumping into the melee.

A person has only so much mental energy. I would implore others to use their energies in positive outreach to the community. Write an article for your local newspaper about the good things your Troop has been doing. Participate in Scouting for Food. Do one more community service project. Build character. Teach traditional values. Deliver the promise. Those are the positive actions that will strengthen Scouting. Responding to the detractors of Scouting tit for tat is non-productive and pointless.

FScouter,

First, let me say - Thanks - for using "implore" properly, vice "employ" like I had erroneously did in my first post. Spell checker doesn't catch everything - eh? Ugh, I hate it when I use a word improperly (although I probably do it a lot more than I want to know).

I didn't mean to say that we should respond to all detractors tit for tat. I agree with your assertion that it can be a great waste of energy. Still, whenever I detect that there might be a "fence sitter" who could be swayed by a "Merlyn", I feel duty bound to say something. If we don't, one day, we may find ourselves to be of the minority opinion. I'm doing my best to explain to some folks that if character truly counts, we need to be steadfast. Otherwise, BSA could become like some of the churches that I described above.

Rooster: Yes, nudging the fence-sitters is appropriate. I think what I was trying to get across was that continuously haranguing a merlyn is pointless. You are not particularly guilty of that, but collectively there has been a huge number of keystrokes expended. A merlyn won't change, and excessive energy in that direction diverts us from our primary Scouting mission.