Can Someone Explain Woodbadge to Me

You don't need the syllabus. Just go, and enjoy. Sure there are some who have a hard time in the course. It does bring the good, the bad, and the ugly out of people. Even the Staff. The SM signs a letter saying that he will not put the course out there to the public. And he will stick to the course guide. The subject matter, time line, etc.. I went without looking too deep into it. I went because a few people I meet at my IOLS Course were so cool that I just had to have more. I have been lucky. I've Staffed, and have been asked to Staff again. The perception of every person who attended the course is different. The break down of the Participants into patrols is a serious conversation. Lot's of man /woman hours goes into preparation, Staff Development. Menus, materials, location, which staff members would be best to teach which classes, etc.. I think that if someone doesn't get anything from the course, didn't put anything into it. Your that person who will not be asked to come back and Staff in the future. In fact you'll probably be the guy/gal who isn't invited to any functions in the future. This is a great chance to meet other Scouters. Share ideas. The course is a giant mirror where you get to see your real character. Many hide behind a mask, this course pulls the mask off. Sure, many go there with loads of experience and leadership. But thinking that you already know it all is the first mistake. That's another reason why each course has several participants attending who went to the old course. They are willing to learn more, gain new ideas. I had to drive 8 hours to my course. In fact, the closest participants only had to travel 45 mins. we had people fly in from Texas, California, Kuwait. everywhere. If you want it, if you love scouting, you'll find the time to do it, I say go for it. You will only regret it if you don't. Sure there are those who think they'll get nothing out of it. again see above. Sure there are sometimes Staff members who make you think twice. But in the end it's what you put into it. The old question that keeps being hashed out here is weather the old course is better then the new one. Well I'll never know, I didn't get to go to the old course, I wasn't Scouting then. SO as far as I know this one is the best one. And you won't know unless you give it a try.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link Moose

I have looked at this site - I just made me feel more disappointed. I could find no reference to the most irritating parts of my course.

One of the things on the site at that link is the participant handbook from the Philmont Training center wood badge course. Am I making a huge assumption if I guess that they are probably doing it right? It looks like the course I was expecting, rather than the course I experienced.

As I said, I have already asked a friend if I could see their syllabus, and been refused.

ScoutBox

I went, with an open mind, and put my heart and soul into the course. Between weekends, I spent hours (and dollars) handcrafting name badges, flags, mini flags, patrol tokens. I joined in the discussions, made points, sang the songs, acted in the skits, cooked, cleaned up.....

Much of the course had real value, but as the course teaches, trust can be very fragile, and easily broken.

My overall experience of Wood Badge was miserable.

My desire to read the syllabus is a genuine attempt to understand whether Wood badge is flawed, or just the local interpretation of it.

Hmmm.. I myself would have no trouble showing the syllabus to someone who already took the course, and wanted to see if they could get a more detailed interpretation of it. Or hook up disconnections because they missed some vital part that broke the chain of the logically flow while out on a bathroom break.

I would not show it to someone who has not taken the course or is only halfway through as in T2Eagles case.. As I said it is a spoiler. And you can not get the course expierience by reading it, you have to expireince it.. So I am glad it is not to be found on the internet.

I understand why the course is not available on the internet.

However, shrouding the syllabus in secrecy is almost bound to lead to abuse. If participants don't know what is syllabus and what is local tradition, they don't know what is supposed to be taught in troops and what should be left out.

desertrat - many people in Troops do not "get it".. That is why we have so many Adult Lead troops, or failing troops.. Being an Eagle scout does not necessarily mean that you "get it" if you were raised in an Adult lead troop..

Can you even tell me that half the troops out there truely "get it"?

If you do "get it" then great.. Help those in your patrol to get it, and learn from the individual presentations on Leadership skills. Between the simulated troop and all the Leadership presentations then you should get something from the course. If not then pardon me for pardon me for stepping on the toes of the almighty Mr. Perfect.. Who just is so perfect that there is no room for improvement. Who lives in a Council that is built of the most perfect units that we should all go by the thousands to worship the Council of the perfect units.

The Wood badge troop I was in was the most adult led troop I have experienced, EVER!

We asked for time to extend discussion after one lecture - and were denied.

We asked permission to take packs straight to cars after returning (early) from outpost. Denied.

Even the evening of the outpost hike was timetabled for us.

Wait - was that supposed to happen?

The code word at our course was "Semper Gumby" (Always flexible)..

There is definately ALOT to get through, and you promise to follow the course outline. That does pull a tight time-table.

Although on staff this time through, I was also watching as if for the first time. My course 7 years back was not the same as this course (or I forgot ALOT).. The First weekend I did kindof feel that the itinerary was directing the free flow of the patrols..

The second weekend though had enough "patrol" time that the itinerary was not so much the driving force, but they did have a few more presentation, The inter-faith service directed by the patrols an the patrols project presentations. So still a schedule to keep. But more so like a camporee agenda.. The camporee has x, y, z to attend, but the troop had alot of patrol time and even the events was more defined by the participants in how they wanted to accomplish the task at hand.

And there was enough times that the code word "Semper-Gumby" was used.

I would not say that patrol time was really a feature of my second weekend.

Does that mean you were not given patrol time? Or does that mean you did not bond with your patrol, so your patrol time was not enjoyable? Of course if you weren't given patrol time, it is hard to bond with your patrol..

That is a good question.

Checking the Gilwell gazettes, we did get patrol time each day. Checking my memory, the time was filled with going over PLC notes, getting ready for the patrol presentation - we thought we knew what we were doing, but the goalposts moved.... - and sleeping. Well, I took a sanity nap after pitching my outpost tent, and another of my patrol team took a nap on day 6 during the feast prep time.

Moosetracker--

Lol, I'd never claim perfection (ask my wife)!

Sure, I have room for improvement. But, I'm not sure the additional insights gained from going to WB are worth the time, energy, and money.

Boy-led troops: I was a PL and SPL in boy-led troops and carried on the tradition when I was an ASM and SM. Great learning experiences all. Somehow this happened without my SMs (except one) or myself being WBers. I don't see WB as the sole keeper of the scouting spirit.