Test Out Option for Intro to Outdoor Skills

Folks,

This topic made an appearance about 2-3 months back, and I haven't had the time to find the exact passage in the training manual, BUT here it is in the October Training Update from National

http://scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx

Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills

As a restated reminder, if you feel you have all the skills required in Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills it may not be necessary to take the course. Anyone who feels they can demonstrate all of the skills for Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class should contact their District Training Chair and schedule a one-on-one session with a member of the training team.

This statement also applies to Venturing Youth (over 18 years of age) who are able to demonstrate outdoor leader skills to an IOLS Certified Course Instructor.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That option has been around for a while ... but ... it is fun to go and attend some trainings from time-to-time - even if you know all the skills.

I have been attending training classes I taught for several years - just so I can see what changed (like Patrol Method not being taught in SM/ASM Fundamentals ... replaced with "working with youth" and the EDGE method).

I only have a couple of additional classes until I have completed all the training for all registered positions. Been a good refresher.

I do not think our district does this at present. I was planning on setting up a course for demonstrating out kindof run like a camporee with stations.

I am concerned about the demonstrating one-on-one verbage. I do not know if any of my trainers know everything to be able to test someone out all the way through. I know no-one volunteeree to take on plant/animal id when our usual trainer could not, and I also had trouble finding anyone to take on the Cooking demo when someone backed out 2 weeks before we were to hold the course.

Maybe they can pass someone who "sounds" like they know what they are talking about, but I would rather have someone who knows whats what pass them on truely knowing what they are talking about.

Short,

That was my question. As for why test out, some folks do have those skills, and to be honest the course would be a waste of time as a participant. Good friend of mine was a 3 Beader and never did IOLS as he completed WB21C as a CM. However he is an Eagle, prior military, and served as a MBC for several outdoor MBs. IOLS would have been a waste of his time. However we FINALLY got him to an IOLS course: he served as the lead trainer ;)(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

West Central Florida is developing criteria to give people waivers on the outdoor skills training. We haven't got anything in writing yet. We'd probably have better results if we just asked everyone to take the training.

Good training seems to get people enthused and motivated again.

In the back of the IOLS syllabus, there is a questionaire to rate your skills at everything, then a checklist for a trainer to check off what the participant has successfully tested out of.

Strangly though nothing in the IOLS syllabus says what in the world this is for. then if you go to the boy scout specifics syllabus it tells you that you can demonstrate out of the IOLS..

So it is difficult to figure out all the parts & pieces because they don't put the test & questionaire along with the statement all in the IOLS book where it should be..

Thanks for the link, Eagle92 -- that's EXACTLY what we needed.

We finally were able to turn in our official charter application last week, with 6 adults and 6 boys. We'll pick a few more boys Sunday, and a few more adults over the next month. Our first official Scout meeting is Monday, and our first official outing will be a Tennessee River boat ride with an old Sea Scouter, on the 23rd. Several of us spent the day scouting out a remote (but close) campsite that's FREE, uncrowded and in a dead zone for cell phones (YEAH!). It turned out to be even better than we hoped, and will almost certainly be a primary campsite 'home' for our new troop. (Fresh beaver sign, free swimming rainbow trout, a 6' black snake, which we caught, photographed and released, and more!)

Most of the adults are young singles who WANT to be trained in outdoor skills done right. In at least one case, that's what they are principally interested in. The guy told one of us he'd wants to do the training so when he has kids in the next few years (he's engaged), he can do camping and outdoor activities safely and competently with his own family.

Turning them over to the local IOLS would kill their enthusiasm. We're just not willing to turn them over to all the overweight Scouters who are long on rules and short on skills. (There are some guys who are overweight and who have real skills, but at least in our council, the trainers with real skills seem to be in the minority.)

Instead, since we posted earlier, our thinking has moved much further toward thinking of IOLS certification as "1st Class for Adults". That's what we're going to try, anyway. We'd been told that the 2 year old IOLS certs a couple of us have are still valid, but that we'd have to put new guys (and gals) thru the Council IOLS. We'd decide to punt, and wait a year since we can get buy without any new Council IOLS certs.

Hopefully, your link will make that unnecessary!

BTW, we've also decided that the Scout badges (TF, 2nd, 1st) will be ONLY for skills currently held. We'll probably give Scouts a 6-week grace period to bring skills up to spec, but otherwise, they'll have to drop back a badge.

Ironically just after we made that decision, we found in the Hillcourt SM handbook a passage where Hillcourt specifically states that that is the correct approach!

So, we're pumped!

Thanks again for your help!

Tn Scout Troop

Tn Scout Troop writes:

Ironically just after we made that decision, we found in the Hillcourt SM handbook a passage where Hillcourt specifically states that that is the correct approach!

Would you please share that with us?

Thanks.

Kudu ...

My "guess" ... one of my favorites:

"The badges which accompany his advancement and which the Scout wears on his Uniform are not to show that he has "passed certain tests." There should be no past tense implied! On the contrary, each badge cries out "I can, right now and here!"

The badge of rank worn by a Scout is like the M.D. sign on a doctor's door. It advertises to the world that "Here lives a man who is prepared to help sick people." So must the First Class Badge advertise to the world that here is a boy who is qualified to help others as well as take care of himself. It is not to be considered a decoration, but rather a symbol of knowledge and ability.

Games and other activities that review the various Scout Requirements should be worked into the Troop's program continuously so that the Scouts will not "grow rusty" for lack of an opportunity to use and practice their knowledge and ability."

Our Council implemented this a while ago, as described here:

http://www.ctyankee.org/program/training/basic/smtraining

We developed a Self Evaluation Form, basically a reprint from the syllabus:

http://www.ctyankee.org/fs/page/001478/introoutdoorskillssignoffse20080420.pdf

We also developed a Sign Off Sheet, again from the syllabus:

http://www.ctyankee.org/fs/page/001478/introoutdoorskillssignoffpr20080420.pdf

We also offer IOLS at summer camp, although soliciting instructors is sometimes a challenge.

BTW, we've also decided that the Scout badges (TF, 2nd, 1st) will be ONLY for skills currently held. We'll probably give Scouts a 6-week grace period to bring skills up to spec, but otherwise, they'll have to drop back a badge.

Pardon me, but what allows you to re-test and demote Scouts who have already earned rank?(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Thanks for the links, JFL49.

UCEagle72 has the exact quote. In my copy of the "Third Handbook for Scoutmasters", c. 1938, the quote is from Vol. 2, page 958, under a section headed "The Significance of the Badges".

Regarding IOLS, we initially were told ALL training, including IOLS, needed to be renewed every two years. That has not been contradicted directly, but we were specifically told by the Council Training Head that the almost 2-year old IOLS certs held by 2 of us will continue to be valid.

And just clear up: removal of badges is purely a unit function. We will not attempt to have the ranks rescinded by Council, nor are we aware of any basis for doing so. Rather, we will (and are) making clear from the outset that our troop is about actual skills, not nominal ranks, and will act and train (both youth and adults) accordingly. We (adults) are trying to retrain ourselves to say "badge" rather than "rank", so that we can follow the Hillcourt approach that the 'badges' are indicators of skill possessed, not rank achieved and held indefinitely.

We'll happily assist either a Scout or Scouter who, after initially agreeing with this approach, changes his mind and wishes to move to another unit. They should have no trouble finding another troop in which 'advancement' can proceed based on fleetingly possessed skills: out of 100+ troops in Council, at least 99% follow that pattern.

TN Scout Troop