Common Wood Badge course - Good Idea?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My WB21C patrol consisted of one district training chair, one Scoutmaster, two Assistant Scoutmasters, and one Cub Den Leader. The Den Leader had no prior experience with scouts other than his one year of leading a Wolf Den. He admitted he was a little lost, at first, because he didn't really understand the patrol concept.

I think that as we went along, he understood more and more, and gained much more interest in what is coming along after his son moves to a Scout troop. That is, provided his son stays interested. But it sounds like he comes from a strong pack, and that he'll continue as a den leader or perhaps a Cubmaster.

So did he lose anything by not having Cub-specific programming? I don't think he did. But I think he gained a lot. He's just as devoted of a Scouter as the rest of us in the patrol.

Guy

Let's look at this from the other angle, too. When I went through WB, I was the only cub leader in my patrol. Several of my patrol mates had never been involved with cubs at all, and others hadn't been involved with cubs in decades. What they "knew" about cub scouting was pretty thin and frequently incorrect. Heck, even half the WB staffers were disseminating blatantly wrong information about how cub scouts works, on many occasions.

So yes, I learned a great deal about patrols and boy scouts, (and venturing too) and as a cub leader, a lot of that terminology was fairly novel for me. On the other hand, I'd like to think that the other course participants learned, re-learned, or maybe even unlearned some things about cub scouts, too. I do know that after WB, the two troops in my town who had people in the course were FAR more open to inviting our webelos to their events, trying to locate den chiefs, making contact between SM/ASMs and Cub leaders (WDLs especially), etc.

Maybe WB isn't the place where this ought to happen, but it certainly WAS the place where it actually DID happen for many of us. And I think it enriched everybody's understanding.

Tokala,

How about the old Brownsea 22 course. It is an excellent outdoor skills course.

I have finally got a scan of a well loved copy of the course, inlcuding notes in the margins. I noticed that my council did modify the course a little, i.e 1/2 the troop was following the course by the book, the other half was doing the days in reverse and they added a service project to the last day. PM me if your interested, or anyone else for that matter.

Hey KUDU, want a digital copy for your website?

So yes, I learned a great deal about patrols and boy scouts, (and venturing too) and as a cub leader, a lot of that terminology was fairly novel for me.

But what did you and the others learn about Cub Scouts. Lisabob?