Should Committee Members take WB?

In our troop The SM & ASM get the training needed by for the position of SM & ASM before they can even take the position.. Why do you think "SM is about the only position that DOES NOT NEED ANY TYPE OF TRAINING TO TAKE THE BOYS ON OUTINGS".. BSA policy have a training list for SM.. So it will be required by National that to re-register yearly you need to have the training specified for your job description.

ALL members involved in interacting with our youth MUST TAKE YOUTH PROTECTION.. This includes those who are SM, ASM, committee members and merit badge counsilors. This is a required training course for any position you take per BSA policy, not our troops policy.. It is THAT important...

The SM & ASM are FULLY TRAINED before they get the position of SM & ASM..

Our troop goes the extra mile in this fashion: Any other adults who go on events must take all training required for the SM position that is on-line before going on any event. (That's Youth Protection, This is scouting, Fast Start).. They are on one year probation to get the two courses that are not on-line. SM Specifics and Outdoor leader training..

That way if a parent of a new scout wants to go with their scout on their first event, they can be trained enough to go, but will loose that priviledge if they do not take the requirements for training seriously and do not finish it up in a year.

When we had about 20 parents going on all the events the Scoutmaster had issues with the adults not the kids and requested this policy. Now our adult participation is small. I suggested relaxing the policy so that we had more parents helping, the SM will not hear of it... It is that important to him to have knowledgable adults and not "party-goers" on the outings.

If you think Youth-protection is a joke, please work in a committee job that does not have you interacting with our youth.. But in a few years don't expect to be able to re-register with the new charter without it.. It is THAT important.!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandatory basic training for Direct Contact leaders is coming next year for all councils anyway -- that means SMs have to have This is Scouting, YP, SM Specific and the new IOLS for the charter to be approved. That means no rank advancement and no tour permits until it's done.

Wood Badge would just be one more step, and a majority of committees in my district state in their bylaws that WB is mandatory for all DC leaders (just as NYLT is mandatory for ASPL and SPL).

Eagledad - it took me a while to understand this post. I may have gotten some of it wrong, but this is my interpretation.. (I know others will correct me if I am wrong)..

In the post he mentions "Direct Contact leaders" then starts using "DC" (In other post DC stood for other things. But this is what I think "DC" means here.). they goes on to say..

"that means SMs have to have This is Scouting".. So I think for him "DC" stands for SM & ASM, only.. This does Not even include Committee members who work with youth like your Advancement Coordinator, or Outdoors coordinator.

I did not know what "NYLT" was myself.. But I think it is similar to "JLT" because it is tied to SPL & ASPL. We have a week long camp "JLT" offered around here, so I figure it is something like this.

Some units do have lots of money through great fundraisers they have dreamed up. Then they have the problem of where to spend the cash so that they stay non-profit.. I would hope if a troop makes these things mandatory they have the cash to pay for it for these people. And that they have super duper fundraisers so that eraning the money is quick and painless. the scout shouldn't be busting his butt to pay for other peoples training, rather then out having fun..

Aside from that.. if you got the funds, go for it.. All the power to you.. Must of us units just would not have the luxery to make things like this mandatory.

DC, in the way that jhankins is using it means Direct Contact leaders. Actually the BSA National roll out of mandatory training is -

2010 - Pilot Councils - All top unit leaders

2011 - Pilot Councils - All direct contact leaders

2011 - All Other Councils - All top unit leaders

2012 - All Other Councils - All direct contact leaders

Per BSA, direct-contact leaders are anyone who comes into direct contact with youth members, and includes assistants to the top leaders and all den leaders.

NYLT is National Youth Leadership Training. JLT has been gone for a number of years now (at least 5 I believe).

From the BSA National Web site -

"The youth leadership training continuum is divided into three courses: The first course is Troop Leadership Training (TLT), which is designed to be run frequently in a troop setting. The Scoutmaster and senior patrol leader will conduct this three-hour training whenever there are new Scouts or there has been a shift in leadership positions within the patrol or the troop.

The second course is the council-level, weeklong National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) and is often held at a council camp. This course is an in-depth training covering a wide variety of leadership ideas and skills. It simulates a month in the life of a troop and uses fun and hands-on learning sessions to teach the concepts in the toolbox of leadership skills. The Scouts hone their understanding of service-based leadership as they undertake a patrol quest for the meaning of leadership.

The National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE) is an exciting new program that helps young men enhance their leadership skills in the Philmont backcountry. Scouts will expand upon the team building and ethical decision making skills learned in NYLT. NAYLE uses elements of Philmont Ranger training as well as advanced search-and-rescue skills to teach leadership, teamwork, and the lessons of selfless service. NAYLE offers Scouts an unforgettable backcountry wilderness experience where they live leadership and teamwork, using the core elements of NYLT to make their leadership skills intuitive."

TLT is what should be required for all Troop youth leaders. It would be wonderful if all Troop youth leaders could also take NYLT, however, if a Troop REQUIRES it then the Troop should pay for it. In my council that would definitely break the bank of most Troops as it costs $240 for the course.

I don't even want to guess what a NAYLE course at Philmont would cost, but I expect that would be the next mandatory step for youth in jhankins area!

As for WB - Should Committee Members take WB? Sure, if they are completely trained for their position, have some BSA experience under their belt, and, most important, if that is something they really want to do.

• 1 month later...

I attended the Woodbadge for the 21st century course in the fall of 2008 (C60-08). I completed my tickets a little over a year later. I have been a Tigercub Den Leader and have just finished my second year as Cubmaster. I was also in both cub scouts and boy scouts as a youth, all the way through to earning Eagle. By profession I am a Corporate Training manager.

Now that you know my background, here are the questions I ask people who are considering if Woodbadge is for them:

1. Are you a registered adult scout leader?

2. Do you enjoy the time you spend on scouting?

3. Do you want to contribute more to the scouting programs you participate in?

4. Do you want to build a stronger network of other experienced scout leaders?

5. Do you want to improve your communication, planning, and leadership skills?

6. Can you attend two long weekends of training in a camping environment?

7. Do you enjoy learning by doing?

Score 1 point for each "Yes" answer. If you scored 2 or more points, Woodbadge is for you. :-)

The last question is perhaps the most important one. Woodbadge is all about learning by doing. It is not a passive experience comprised of classroom lectures or corporate type seminars. You camp and cook as a patrol. You wear the uniform, participate in campfires, sing songs, attend ceremonies, make patrol spirit items, develop training materials, and deliver presentations. After the course is done you have 5 "tickets" to complete. These are 5 things you want to improve that are related to your primary registered position in scouting. It doesn't really matter what that position is, be it Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, Venture Crew Advisor, Den Leader, Committee Member, etc. Every unit has numerous things that could benefit from improvement. Woodbadge provides you with a toolset and the motivation to do just that improve the scouting experience for the youth we serve.