Archery/BB and parents who want rules bent

THanks for all your suggestions. We solved the aquanaut issue by sending a Copy of the aquanaut pages to the church camp with the boys in question. Had their aquatics person verify the completed what they needed to do (except for the BSASwim test) and asked the provide their intact information if we had questions. The kids did it and returned the papers to us. The Cubmaster had this idea.. He also backed me up that we cannot give them credit for archery or BB because they did not complete it at a cub scout camp. Mom still didn't think it was fair but we showed her again in writing from the belt loop book - he says he isn't backing down on it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There ya go. Please shake that CM's hand for me.

I train bus drivers. The requirements are in the Commercial Drivers Handbook of our state. They are what they are. There is no changing them. There is no adapting them. The tests are given at one site, not in the church parking lot we may practice in. The candidate can listen to me and I will answer their questions and show them what they need to do to pass the test, but the state will not take my word for it. The state inspector tests them, on the state site, and he/she says yea or nay, not me.

Same thing here, only with smaller candidates and (I hope) less important skills than directing multi ton vehicles on crowded roads.

I hope Ms Cubscoutmom learns her lesson as well as the Cub.

Brewmeister and Acco,

I refer you to page 18-3 of the cub scout leader book published by BSA.

The section that deals with advancement states:

See that advancement standards are maintained. Every boy should do his best to complete the requirements as presented in the program

Under the committee responsibilities are:

Get equipment. Help plan ceremonies. Go buy the badges. Encourage advancements.

The standards of pack advancements and final say over badges is clearly the role of the CM.(This message has been edited by bsa24)