What Have I Gotten Myself Into: Cub Scout Round Table Commish

Well the district commish finally got me to say yes to being CS RT commissioner, And I am thinking "WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" (caps for me shouting at myself, not your guys).

We haven't had an active CS RT commissioner in some time, heck since before I became a CS Leader. And I have no earthly idea on what to do. The last RT guide I see is 2010-2011, so do I keep using it since the new program repeats itself? What the heck am I suppose to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Now in case you are wondering why I've finally said yes after been asked several times in the past two years and saying "NO," there are two reasons. #1 I think I have my program director replacement. So I do not need to be as focused on CSDC.

The other reason is that I was told that the person who really destroyed out CS RT program has offered to do become commissioner again. That was the real motivation to do it.

Again any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I've been CSRTC since 8/2009. I'm planning on making the 8/2012 RT my last.

My theory is that most good Cubmasters should have a year of good CSRT programs they can put on. My year was up and I would have preferred to have quit, but I was persuaded to do a second year. On the whole, that has been a mistake.

My bias has been to ignore the Roundtable guide and to put on programs that pack leaders needed to hear about to improve their programs.

Our February RT will be on how to do an effective pack communication program.

January was on planning a good Blue and Gold dinner, and how to use the Journey to Excellence as an effective pack planning tool.

December was on managing an effective pack advancement program.

August was on methods of planning an effective popcorn sale.

September how to do an effective recruiting drive.

Pretty much each month I aim to find the best leaders in the district to make presentations on the program of the month. All too often people wont cooperate by helping me out, but that's my aim.

If you have the energy, the second year be an Assistant RT Commissioner and help back stop the person who takes your place.

SP - I think I rmember a back post of yours asking this forum (as well as those who attend your RT) what topics THEY would like to see covered..

I could never work the search on this site, maybe someone else who knows how to work it could search for and find that for E92.. I remember it filled with some interesting ideas for topics..

While I have heard others say they like the search on this forum.. For me the search pulls up way too much stuff (like 50 pages worth) in no sorted order, so that things from june 1980 is mixed with things form Sept 2011, and you can't ever focus on the estimated time frame that it ran in..(hopefully our new forum will have a better search mechanism :) )

Moose,

Going to be searching the forums today and this weekend for ideas. Plus sendingout an email to all CS leaders.

Didn't do it last nite 'cause I needed to talk to the wife about it, and have a beer to recuperate from making the decision. It's not a bad thing, just an overwhelming one. The only real good RT we had since I've been going to the CS ones was the one which 5 folks, including myself, discussed improving CSDC. And our DE had been the acting commish.

Our RT CS commish is one of our pack's former Webelos leaders, so I have an inside track on things (mwahahaha). The assistant commish is also from our troop, the assistant leader from our 2nd Webes den.

They are both very organized, very communicative, very over the top. In a good way.

Communication is very important--we can only give information out to our DLs and parents if we have it ourselves. She themes each month around a specific topic (like Seattle does); this past meeting was about Blue & Gold, with different themes and ideas.

She brings in examples of things that they have done. Good speakers (loved the old Eagle Scout who told us how to get people working in the pack!); lots of handouts available (crafting stuff, songs, ideas).

They also make it fun for us. Well, I don't like the whole singing bit, but I'm not a singer but I've learned from it! Drawings for items they get from the district, etc.

There is an updated Cub RT guide for 2011-2012. It covers different ideas than last year's.

Since they have started adding back theme ideas to the suggested Cub Scout program, I have been incorporating some of those into our RT program.

The leaders in my district tell us the most valuable thing for them about RT are the postition specific breakouts. TRY and recruit enough staff to lead those break-outs (who will adequately prepare before hand to have effective learning take place).

Every year, our DE and RT commisioner ask us what types of things we would like to have as RT topics.

They write them all down, and manage to blend that with other stuff we have to have like advice on recharter or any other offic type stuff that ...sigh....has to be done.

During the course of the year, they ask various people to make presentations on what they are good at. I gave a presentation on recruiting for Cub Scout parent/son weekenf and Resident camps. I also assist in presenting things to get kids psyched up before PWD .

WE had a local pediatriction come by and go over dealing with shock, disabilities, ADHD ADD and Autism while Cub Scout camping. That was a great RT that dispelled MANY myths and false ideas.

Sop ity needs to be a mix of what they want, what they need, and what can be improved on.

Thanks everyone.

Info,

Do you have a link to the 2011-12 RT Guide? I went to the office today and could only find the 2010-11 one, plus that is the one online.

Fish,

That's the game plan. I Asked the DE for a list of all CS Leaders so I can contact and invite to RT. One of the first things I plan on doing is handing out a survery on what they are interested in being discussed.

ALL,

One complaint I've hear about RT attendance is that "we're in it for the kids, if they can't come we won't come." How do you over come this? I was thinking about getting a Den Chief and setting up a movie for kids to watch while we have our meeting.

But what are some other ideas?