Merit Badge time limit

Is there a time limit on the time that can be spent earning one merit badge? If there is, could you give me the scout reference material from which you got your information. I believe in our council that a boy not finishing a merit badge at camp has to complete that badge before going to camp the next summer. Otherwise, the camp staff will have the boy start the merit badge over.

Try this link, the last line states the only deadline for completion of a merit badge is before the scouts 18th birthday.

BTW: It also says there is no rule against a counselor signing for a son, relative, ward, etc as well

Now, this is not an "official" BSA site, but I find it accurate

http://meritbadge.com/bsa/info/policy1.htm

The thing about the summer camp re-do is that most summer camps - at least the ones I know of personally - do not accept partially finished merit badges. The reason I was given is that the staff have no idea if or how well the scout actually did the work. The summer camps will send home a partial for the scout to finish at his own pace with a local MB counselor.

rlculver415,

I have a real issue with your post. If the counselors at summer camp won't accept partials, then I would take it to the program director. If you get no satisfaction there, then go to the camp director.

I can understand if the counselor wants to go over the completed requirements on a partial merit badge but not accepting a partial is not in line with the merit badge program.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Pretty sure my boy earned merit badges at summer camp when he was 11. Must be able to. I know he was working on Eaglebound but also earned canoeing that summer.

Our troop policy is a year, but it is unenforcible by BSA. We recommend a year because it is hard to imagine what a scout is doing not finishing a badge within a year (camping, cycling, hiking, backpacking notible exceptions).

Respectfully to Yarrow;

There are probably as many circumstances that would require more than a year as there are Scouts. Here's a couple: where we live, private ownership of weapons such as rifles and bows/arrows is prohibited. Consequently, the only time our Scouts can earn Rifle Shooting & Archery is at Summer Camp. If there's more than a year between Summer Camps due to scheduling, and a Scout got a partial the first year, a one-year rule would force him to start over. I have a Scout who started Forestry early this year, and will finish it next year when we're scheduled to visit a public forest with an English-speaking ranger.

Personally, I think the requirements, rules, etc., are complicated enough without having one-year requirements for some badges and not for others. I like the 18-year old rule...

KS