Campout with a burn ban

My pack is going on a campout this weekend. The state park is under a burn ban. This means there can be no open fire. We can use charcoal in a covered grill so the Dutch ovens will be possible.

My question is how can we make the campfire a memorable experience for new cub scouts and their families with out a fire?

I know it can be done but any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

A burn ban is part of life, and something your Cubs should get familiar with.

There is no reason why a campfire program HAS to be around an actual fire. Get everyone settled around a central area. Use a few lanterns on the edges for a bit of light. It doesn't have to be lit up like it's noon, so 1 or 2 on low should do. Then use the open center as your "stage" for the skits and songs.

Have FUN!

Some of the most memorable "campfires" I ever experienced were in the pouring rain. When I worked camp staff, we had to do quite a few campfire programs under the "big top" dining hall tent when the weather turned foul. We moved tables all around and set up portable lights to make the "stage" visible. It worked great.

Ok. Burn bans I get. We're living with one now. Sometimes I get the feeling we're under a perpetual fire ban. You can have a great campfire program without a fire. I've seen them done with a fake fire (if you're lucky enough to be camped next to a "current bush") or by lantern light. Just do what you'd normally do and have fun with it.

Now, can somebody explain this "pouring rain" to me? I don't think I've ever seen that...(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

Hey, we are under a burn ban and there are stories on the news everyday about the fire departments fighting raging grass fires. We have an OA Call Out ceremony and a Brotherhood ceremony this weekend and we are working out the fire details. The Council Properites guy and Ranger say that propane and liquid fuel are OK since they don't put off embers like wood does. We are experimenting with building a rock firepit with a Coleman stove in it using a small canister and the ceramic logs out of a gas fireplace. We switched to using refillable tiki torch canisters in our smudgepots last year and we've been told they are OK.

"pouring rain" = go out for 10 seconds and you're drenched. It doesn't make a difference whether you're in rain gear or not.

There's only one step further and that's a "down-pour". That means if it lasts more than 10 minutes, you had better start looking for an ark. Seriously, if you are driving a car in a "down-pour" you need to pull over if you can find the side of the road because the wipers on high aren't doing any good.

1) Misting - fine spray of moisture

2) Drizzle - actual rain drops but not much more than that

3) Rain - Put on your rain gear.

4) Pouring Rain - you're not going anywhere soon.

4) Down pour - heavy rain, usually enough to put out all campfires

5) Deluge - The logs in the campfire can actually float away.

Your mileage may vary

Stosh

As much as I like campfires, a fire ban is a fire ban.

Although candles are usually allowed. If this is the case, the Dens in your Pack could gather in separate little groups and give each Cub a candle. Then everyone could come together as a Pack and put all the candles on a platform or table. This would really show how brightly the Pack can shine when they get together!

We did our AOL Ceremony and Crossover with the OA a couple of weeks ago and were (and still are) under a burn ban. We put a battery powered lantern under a teepee fire and it worked fine. It was still a memorable experience and the Scouts and parents are still saying thank you for such an awesome job!