X Post - Buying a Klondike sled

BD, Scout parent = volunteer.

Eliza, return to your superiors (be they your boys or other parents) and say that there are no reputable purveyors of sleds suitable for a district klondike derby! But, you could probably call some scouts or venturers who may have a one in their garage. They may loan it without even asking for a generous donation to their coffers.

For example, if you are in the Pittsburgh area IM me.

I just read the last posts.

For what it's worth, the new sled is for another Webelos team -- not the one my son was on. NOW I know there are lots of ways to get a sled, but THEN, at the very end of a meeting, when I was asked to buy a sled ASAP, I did not know.

As for the survival kit, the parents are helping their boys put together kits. I posted here and spoke with people in our Boy Scout troop for ideas. This is shared with ALL the parents. One parent is buying space blankets to give to everyone who needs them. I have a box of surgical gloves (Boy Scout suggestion) and will GIVE these to the other parents. IMO, this is about teamwork. The question I've heard most often is, "Is there anything else I can do to help?" And that is the question I've asked too.

Eliza,

I been down your road as well. It is real easy for some of these experience leaders to sit with their computer and give their .02, which is a shame cause what u asked for was assistance in advice to BUY a sled not building one. Right away they judge your unit and how they should have done this or done that. For not accepting face value of your situation is really disappointing, how do they know your unit isn't one of just single mothers or parents that don't have mehcanical skills? What is easy for one isn't always easy for others.

Question: My husband just came inside from cutting firewood and seems to have cut off his leg. Does anyone know a good bio-hazard cleaning company.

Answer to your questions: Sure, Guts 'R' Us Cleaning, 800-Goo-Gone. Tell them I sent you.

Answer you will get here: For the love of God! apply direct pressure to the wound. Use your bare hand if necessary or slap a cloth on if you have one. If the cloth become saturated, don't remove it, add another one on top. Get someone to call 911, or call yourself as soon as you can. (Etc., etc.)

If you ask a question of a bunch of folks with a great deal of expertise and experience, why wouldn't you want their best answer?

Philzer - most of this is the exact same banter you would get around any campfire with scouts hanging around (maybe not Basement.. Sometimes this media does cause one or two of us to pick up warning signals by reading between the lines.. Lots of times the warning signals are proved incorrect if the person stays and defends themselves, sometimes they are correct or the people run off and we never know.)

Eliza - hang in there as our friend BadenP says - You can't be a woozie around here.. Although these guys banter may make you a little woozie.. Or make you feel like downing a few and becoming a little woozie.. (or maybe you can get the guys to drink a few get them woozie, where they will sleep it off and they won't banter so much..)

So Eliza - did you buy the sled? If you did will it work per specs for your klondike? If you didn't did you find a different way to get a sled?

moosetracker

Thanks!

I can live with the back and forth stuff. I see it on other threads and don't take it that personally. Plus the good advice is really GOOD! It is nice to have a board with so much expertise & experience.

Yes, the sled arrived in 4 days in 2 UPS boxes. Two people were able to put it together during a meeting and it looks great -- pretty much like the troop/packs' other sleds The SM and everyone from our Boy Scout troop like it too. (Everyone reviewed the specs before the sled was purchased.)