Bear Badge ?

I have only been doing this Cub Scout leader thing for 3 years now but unless I'm completely missing the point, if the standard is "do your best" and families can do the missed activities with the cub, I really find nothing other than summer day camp that a cub and his family can't make up if missed.

Really, even day camp (twilight camp for some of you) can be substituted if your district offers a cub overnight camp as ours does and the scout is trying substitute to earn the CS Outdoor Activity Emblem.

But I would not make others wait for an earned award due to the absences of others or other scouts' late start. However, I do try to make sure that the scouts not making rank with the others were given an opportunity to earn a belt loop/pin etc. in the weeks before the others get rank. That way all in the den have the chance to be recognized for the work they are doing now during the same pack meeting. That may help distract from the lack of rank recognition and if not I've "done my best" and can live with it.

Thanks for the replies. I guess my biggest problem is that I have doubts that his parents would even try to make an attempt at trying to schedule this event as a family activity. The boy seems genuinely interested in the program but his parents lack the same enthusiasm. So will the activity be completed. Probably not. So there is my problem. Obviously part of the problem may lie with me. I didn't assume the TDL position until well into into the program year. I never really had an opportunity to lay out the groundwork with the parents as to what was expected. Honestly, I didn't know what was expected of me! Obviously I will work through this issue and be better prepared for future years.

>>>>>>I guess my biggest problem is that I have doubts that his parents would even try to make an attempt at trying to schedule this event as a family activity. The boy seems genuinely interested in the program but his parents lack the same enthusiasm.

Don't write off this Scout, and don't give away an unearned award.

There is plenty of time.

I would first talk to the Tiger, and ask if his school has had any programs with the police, or fire departments this year.

If not, then do another, different, den activity that would fulfill the requirement. The other boys will have fun, and not be bored, and the one boy will have completed his requirement.

When I was a WDL, I ran the program through all the requirements twice to make sure everyone had two chances to pass all advancement. I didn't get any complaints from the boys and they enjoyed the second time through just as much as the first time. All but one earned the AOL through the first round and the last one picked up the single requirement the second time through.

Yeah, right, like the boys didn't enjoy doing it more than once if it's fun.

Of course we had the luxury of meeting weekly year-around and that made a big difference in how often we repeated activities.

Stosh