Where to find Camp volunteers

For those that have helped organize Family Camps in the past, I have a question to ask.

Where do you go to look for camp volunteers?

We are organizing a Cub Scout Family Camp and are trying to fill in positions that are needed for camp staff. This is an all volunteer staff.

I have sent out e-mails and got one response, (From a DE that is also a Tiger Parent)

I have 3 positions that are filled already, and two of those are ones that require certifications for the program area.

Do you look towards your boy scout troops for youth volunteers and how has this worked out in the past?

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Since your family campout isn't the same weekend as the OA's Fall Fellowship, and you knwo how I feel about mine being the same weekend :(, OA is a very good source. Pack level leaders, i.e CMs, Pack Trainers, etc, are another good source. Venturing crews and Troops, especially Troops that don't have feeder packs can be good sources.

One challenge we will have is the parking at Charles, and I've suggested using a Law Enforcement Exploring post.

grant you we are not as big as the SE Loisiana Council's encampment, with 10K+, yet at least ;), but they had the 4th MARDIV assist in logistics. Kinda helps when a 2 star with that pale blue ribbon sits on your council's executive board.

Eagle92

You just gave me an idea to ask if there is anybody from Lejeune that may want to help.

I was also thinking to see if there would be any chance to get a camp ranger from the state to come out.

On the note about the OA. I sent out an e-mail 3 days ago. Right after the meeting, to all OA Chiefs and Advisors that I could asking for help, but no one responded.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

?? Is this a Council Organized Family Camp under National Camp Standards ?? (as in, is this one. I know they exist :) I commish for one in the Council I serve)

If it is, then first problem is you are months behind on the camp development. Let's overcome that.

Staffing: Now is not the time for email. Now is the time for phone calls inviting targeted key folks to lunch or coffee.

I assume your program areas are set. Thus, you have some idea of the folks you need (rangemasters, lifeguards, assorted fun activities.

I presume you will make another run on the Lodge. Start with the Lodge Adviser and the Chief. Have a specific list of needs, and get commitments from them

As far as compensation: Yes, you've said volunteer. Even so...

- I get a little tired of paying for the privilege of working. I hope you costed staff food into your budget.

- Thank yous' cost little but give lots of mileage. Asking someone who matters in your Council (Council Commish, Council President of VP of Program) to personally thank the staff (especially the HS age J-staff I think you're wanting to get) for their time when jobs, girls, and Friday Night Lights are part of their back-in-school routine will help.

- A thank you dinner afterwards (a specially done Dutch Oven meal evening or steaks on the grill) also seems to go over well with kids ... and if you let them bring their girlfriends, folks start getting the idea that Scouting for older youth isn't so dorky after all. Again, I hope you put that in your budget for the event.

Good luck. Sounds like you're needing it right now. Let us know how this turns out.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Confused, sorry... what form is this "Family Camp" taking? Is it a pack function? A district event? Lasting a weekend? A week? What program areas do you need certifications for besides BB range, archery and aquatics?

Look at current den chiefs - they might be interested in a chance to help with program rather than travel around with their dens. Also look at the ranks of the regular summer camp staff - there might be some high schoolers or college students there who have some free time.

Let me add details as i'm part of the committee that Sctdad is on.

1) It is actually two council CS family campouts at two different camps on two different weekends.

2) Yep it's kinda last minute planning. Don't know what happened and don't want to know, just want to "git 'er done"

3) On one of the weekends, the OA is having their Fall Fellowship. Only Arrowmen at that famcamp will be the ones with CS like me.

4)One camp has dining facilities, the other doesn't. Every unit is for themselves, and the local Hardee's will be getting alto of business I bet.

5)I know, I know the planning process should have been started last year, not 3 months ago, but once these famcamps are done, the planning for next year will start very soon thereafter. TRUST ME ON THAT!

Get to your local Roundtable and do a hard push at both the Cub and Boy Scout side. Ask for names and contact info then and there.

Contact Day Camp staff, and Cub Summer Camp Staff.

Get a list of your Council's certified rangemasters and lifeguards. Go down the list and call them all until you get commitments.

Contact Commissioners and Trainers.

Contact former/current Camp Directors and Program Directors.

Start MUCH earlier next year!

Thank you al for the help. I can say that I am afraid to see what my cell phone bill will be this month.

I do have a BB Gun Instructor. Yeah. I will be tallking to another person here in a little bit about some help, she sent me an e-mai today.

as for Lodge, we will be having an ordeal next weekend. I plan on getting some help then, or at least trying.

I like the idea about a thank you dinner.

Talked with the reservation director today, he said that he was pretty sure that he was good to go with cook staff.

Eagle92: I am going to the radio club here in a little bit about trying to get volunteers to set up a JOTA station for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

John

I have seen the NCS standards for Council run family camps. I have been using them as guidelines for the specifics of organizing my session. I would not mind seeing if we would pass inspection. That way we can find areas to improve on for the future. It is all about the best program for the boys. So that is what I am striving for.

This program that we are taking care of has two sessions. two different weekends at tow different camps. Kinda trying to keep the options open for the parents and leaders.

On a side note, I talked with a member of the SD DAY camp committee and she is going to help out with finding volunteers. I am also going to give her the information about the 2nd camp so that they can have the same oppurtunity.