Outdoor Activity Award Ceremony

I have been asked to put together a little Outdoor Activity Award Ceremony, to follow the Tiger and Wolf Badge Ceremonies. Does anyone know of a ceremony for this award, that I could use? Or is it just typically something where you hand out the patch to the recipients and say "Good Job", or something like that?

When I was CM I jumped at the chance to "make up" a ceremony. I did not find any obvious ones in my initial search on the web, but make it lean to what they did (rank-wised) to earn it. A ceremony outside, with washable paint is always a huge hit.

This is a flap they will wear for a while, so feel free to whoop it up.

With any awards that everyone may not be familiar with I take the time to let everyone knwo what was involved in earning it. You can make as simple or complex on your own. I usaully list off the items involved.

To make a big deal about it ...

you can have a poster board and act all concerned that there's lots to do then "check" off each item one by one.Then act all impressed. If there are varoius ranks earning it then have a poster for each rank and go through same process. As ranks progress you'll notice they have more compontents and you can even have a separate paper that says what it takes to earn Leave no Trace or do a whole elective in order to meet that particular item as well.

This is also an itme that is not

temporary and they can add a p[in each time they earn it. My son has one pin on his.

They have to have gone to EITHER Day camp or Resident Camp... just one, plus the other requirements that are specific for their rank year. Each year, the requirements get a little more advanced. (i.e. Tigers must do Acheivement #5 and 3 from the list, Wolves must do elective 23b and do 4 from the list) I have posted the award requirements below off of BSA website:

*******************************************************************************************

Requirements - Outdoor Acitivity Award

All Ranks

Attend Cub Scout day camp or Cub Scout/ Webelos Scout resident camp.

Rank-Specific

Tiger Cubs. Complete one requirement in Achievement 5, Lets Go Outdoors (Tiger Cub Handbook) and complete three of the outdoor activities listed below.

Wolf Cub Scouts. Assemble the Six Essentials for Going Outdoors (Wolf Handbook, Elective 23b) and discuss their purpose, and complete four of the outdoor activities listed below.

Bear Cub Scouts. Earn the Cub Scout Leave No Trace Award (Bear Handbook, Elective 25h) and compete five of the outdoor activities listed below.

Webelos Scouts. Earn the Outdoorsman Activity Badge (Webelos Handbook); and complete six of the outdoor activities listed below.

Outdoor Activities

With your den, pack, or family:

Participate in a nature hike in your local area. This can be on an organized, marked trail, or just a hike to observe nature in your area.

Participate in an outdoor activity such as a picnic or park fun day.

Explain the buddy system and tell what to do if lost. Explain the importance of cooperation.

Attend a pack overnighter. Be responsible by being prepared for the event.

Complete an outdoor service project in your community.

Complete a nature/conservation project in your area. This project should involve improving, beautifying, or supporting natural habitats. Discuss how this project helped you to respect nature.

Earn the Summertime Pack Award.

Participate in a nature observation activity. Describe or illustrate and display your observations at a den or pack meeting.

Participate in an outdoor aquatic activity. This can be an organized swim meet or just a den or pack swim.

Participate in an outdoor campfire program. Perform in a skit, sing a song, or take part in a ceremony.

Participate in an outdoor sporting event.

Participate in an outdoor Scouts Own or other worship service.

Explore a local city, county, state, or national park. Discuss with your den how a good citizen obeys the park rules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information taken from BSA Publication 13-228 2004 Printing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page updated on: August 05, 2007

thanks - here is where I got the info - let me know -

in Wolf elective 23 I believe you have to do ALL of these to achieve this elective:

LET'S GO CAMPING (Page 222)

Participate with your pack on an overnight campout.

Explain the basics of how to take care of yourself in the outdoors.

Tell what to do if you get lost.

Explain the buddy system.

Attend day camp in your area.

Attend resident camp in your area.

Participate with your den at a campfire in front of your pack.

With your den or pack or family, participate in a worship service outdoors.

http://usscouts.org/advance/cubscout/wolfarrow.asp

its in my handbook page 224, item F

This is one of my favorite awards because it covers so many different areas, and it looks great on the uniform. It isn't hard to get, except that a lot of boys just don't go to summer camp. I have been bragging about it and trying to get more boys to attend summer camp. As Cubmaster, I am actually going to Resident Camp during the week, Resident Camp on a two-night weekend, and helping with Twilight Camp, just to try to get more boys to attend at least one of these. Some Den Leaders tend to miss the summer camp requirement (I did too when I first started reading about it for the first time).

I would love to see every boy in the Pack where one of these on their right pocket flap.

Maybe a snazzy ceremony might add to the desire of the boys. Let us know what you come up with, if you don't mind.

I doubt the tigers have earned the award most did not join until the fall round up and there are no cub scout day camps held during the school year to my knowledge.

A day camp is typically put on by a district or council lasting from 3-5 consecutive days. Some large packs in our District have put on their own day camps.

All Ranks

Attend Cub Scout day camp or Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camp.

Jay please ensure they have actually earned the award. It cheapens the award for the boys who have actually earned it.

Our Council has a number of single day events held at the camps. I would not call them a day camp. We also have something called blazer days sponsored buy US sportsman Society. Not really a day camp.

I think your reaching but that is just me.

BTW, why do adults believe the cubs need to earn all the awards in the first year anyhow?????

Just curious

Trailblazer Days, at least as implemented in our council, are day-long events sponsored by the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and staffed by council volunteers with many of the same activities as can be enjoyed during the summer at day camp or resident camp. They are held at council camps, and there is even an option to camp out the night preceding the event. The experience at Trailblazer seems comparable to any of the typically two-day long day camps or overnight resident camps our council offers, and the Outdoor Activity Award camp requirement does not state that it must occur during the summer.

The Outdoor Activity Award can be earned multiple times, with subsequent years marked by the Wolf Track pins that go on the pocket flap given when the award is earned the first time. Why not get the boys excited about camp and the other exciting outdoor adventures Cub Scouts offers by making it so as many as possible can earn the award year after year?

Some Tigers come into the Pack during Spring Recruiting, which the main focus by Council/District is to get more boys to go to summer camp. We had 3 new Tigers on our weekend resident camp during the summer.

Our Council and District have weekend overnights that are very comparible with the Weekend Resident Summer Camp, other than being just a few hours shorter. I asked our Council Camping Executive if these would count toward the Outdoor Activity Award, but he said that they do not (I think they should). I think part of the Outdoor Activity Award requirement is to get more boys into Summer Camp. I have attended both Spring and Fall events that felt just like the Summer Resident camp, other than the boys slept in tents in the Spring and Fall, but were in the Castle at Cub World in the summer.

Maybe somebody from National that might read this might give a better light on the requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a Tiger Cub den leader and my son and I attended a 3 day cub holiday camp over christmas. Our pack honored that as attending camp.

It might have been because we are a Direct Service unit in Nigeria and dont get much of an opertunity to camp.

LagosScouter

Crazy idea, but here it goes. I know usuallyt he OA will do a AOL/Crossover ceremony, but since this IS a Camping award, and the OA has a 94 year history of camping service, how about getting the OA to create and do a ceremony?