We have a leader that has been great at making donations. This person doesn't what people to know and doesn't want any recognition. We really want to do something nice in return. Obviously this person has $, so gift cards don't seem appropriate. Any ideas?

Well, since he has said that he doesn't want people to know, recognizing him would be going against his wishes.

If he's active in other way, a nice plaque that says "For all you do . . ." would be vague enough to cover camping, driving and donations.

Plaques are nice, but I guess I was thinking something he could use or might not buy himself. Of course the cost needs to be little or it would go against the donation.

I think the CC or CM should give it on the side, since he doesn't want any recognition.

That comes back to the "he has bucks" issue. If he's fairly well heeled, he probably hasn't not bought himself something that he really wants.

If it comes from the unit, he might be a bit perturbed that you got a bit extravagent with the funds that he donated. Now if the leaders who are in on the secret all chipped in and bought him a red wool jacket or something like that, he might appreciate it.

If he is a "leader" in the unit and the boys and parents know him, but he doesn't wish to be acknowledged for what he has done behind the scene, so to speak, then recognize him for what he has done in front of the scene. Call him up at the next Court of Honor, give him a Scout Law coin, shake his hand and thank him for his loyal service to the youth of America. Make no mention of anything else, only what folks are aware of.

If, on the other hand, his efforts are mostly behind the scenes, and most (if not all) of the Scouts and parents wouldn't know him if they bumped him in the supermarket, then admire him for upholding the OA principles, and then take him to Dunkin' D's and hand him a half dozen choco glazed, a Scout Law coin, shake his hand and thank him sincerely for his service to the youth of America. Don't forget the letter thanking him for his donation (tax time!).Then sit down with him and let him tell you about the time he and his buddies...

Perhaps you could have the adult leaders of the unit can record a 1-2 message of thanks each telling what his donations have meant to them personally and then maybe some messages from the youth in the same vein. Then give him a CD with each of these messages for him to have, play and replay at his leisure.

Alternately, you could have a "this is your life" type presentation for him with people noting the things that he had done throughout his life concluding with thanking him for his contributions to the unit.

Perhaps you could have the adult leaders of the unit can record a 1-2 message of thanks each telling what his donations have meant to them personally and then maybe some messages from the youth in the same vein. Then give him a CD with each of these messages for him to have, play and replay at his leisure.

Alternately, you could have a "this is your life" type presentation for him with people noting the things that he had done throughout his life concluding with thanking him for his contributions to the unit.

I like the photo idea a lot. Those red jackets are very expensive and may, or may not, be appreciated. A coin is likely to get lost or possibly be seen as just another dust gatherer. A unit photo of the boys, or a collage of photos, will be a lasting reminder of why this person supports scouts, costs little to put together, and is more personalized than giving him "stuff." I know that if it were me, I would greatly appreciate such a thoughtful gesture even though I wouldn't necessarily be delighted to get some little (or big) trinket-y sort of thing.

Manyhats,

Most of the replies are pretty good. The photo collage, coin, ect.

In keeping with the persons wish to remain anonomous, I would think the photo collage (include some of the things his/her donations have allowed like summercamp) and, if the boys are young (Cubs) you might include hand-prints or if the boys are older, a coin in the display. The title "Thanks" would be all that is needed. They remain anonomous and they recieve a personal thank you.

Just my $0.02

Rick

Does he collect Scout memorabilia? If so, get something either new from the scout shop or some collectors item off of ebay, doesn't have to be expensive, just something you think he'd like. You can also apply to get him recognized with the President's Volunteer Service Award...

http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/index.cfm

Costs nothing, sounds impressive and it's a huge pat on the back for all he does for the unit.

How about a brick at the Scout offices or at the local school? At our Scout HQ, some local schools and at least on library that I've been in, you can donate some buck and get immortalized on a brick.

"Joe Doakes, Scouter" For decades or centuries or even millenia, people will read that and say, "Wow, that Doakes fellow was something."