Bike Trek or Bike Ride

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said I didn't, did I? I said that it would be wrong to expect what motivates you to be the same thing that will motivate a cub scout. I of course meant a cub scout today not back when you were a cub scout.

Welcome to the present.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Reading through the thread, I distill about seven key points:

- Do an in-person, on-bike recon. Make sure the route is what it's publicized to be.

- Have several "check your bike" evenings before the ride. Make sure bicycles won't fail on the kids during the event.

- BTW, check their helmets, make sure they fit properly. Bad helmet should mean no ride.

- Have several 2-5 mile training rides before the big event.

- Plan for and have support/assistance vehicles (sagwagons) no more than 4 miles apart.

- Have a fun, carbo loaded, cooldown event (in other words, a picnic meal) at the end of the ride.

- Make sure you timely plan your trip and file your Tour Permit.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Just remember it's not a race and make sure the boys have fun. Sounds like an excellent fun idea.

But like all the other's have warned: remember the trip will be fraught with harrowing perils and danger lurks behind every turn. Beware! Beware! (That's what makes it a terrific adventure for the boys!)

My guess will be that if anyone get's hurt it'll probably be one of the adults. :^)

Stosh

BeeDub, maybe the problem is that you underestimate kids' capacity to have fun. Maybe it's our job to drag them away from their video games and let them experience simple things. Very few of the video game generation will say, "hey let's go ride out bikes instead of playing Doom 17!" but once out there, they'll usually enjoy themselves.

BTW, I still feel sorry for you.

"BeeDub, maybe the problem is that you underestimate kids' capacity to have fun."

Not at all, I think perhaps you believe that what you think is fun a kid will also see as fun. And I believe you are in error to believe that.

I don't think you will convince many Cub aged boys that to take a bike ride to see pretty trees wil be fun. You need it to lead to an adventure if you want to get kids excited about going. To you a bike ride is an adventure. To a Cub age youth it's transportation to go do something else. A wise leader will understand the needs and characteristics of the youth they serve. In the case of a hike, what is the adventure that waits for them when tey get there?

And BeeDub said, "exactly what BSA tells him to say"

BeeDub, you were never a kid so you never would have found adventure in just hoofing it through the woods with your buds or climbing a tree just to see what was up there or jumping off a high rock into a pond.

It's usually the adults in the world, boring grown-ups like you, who need a reason to go somewhere or do something. Adults would turn the bike ride into a mad dash to get to the end so they can have lunch and then jump into the waiting cars so they can dash home to prepare to dash off to the next over planned activity.

Hey fellas, we are all painfully aware of the great love you two have for each other. But arent such intimate expressions are really better expressed privately? If you cant demonstrate courteous to each other, well, thats between the two of you. But how about demonstrating it to the other 9,998 forum members and take your affections to the PM system.

My only concern is to discuss the topic. I think what GW expresses as far as his view that "as an adult I like the event so would a youth noty like it as well' is a common atittude among leaders before attending training. Which is why I was explaining the need to understand that youth are wired differently and that to get them interested in activities such as a hike or trek, you need to address those differences.

That GW chooses to use this discussion as a platform for personal insults is neither my fault or my responsibility.

I hope that Pack15nissan finds a way to do ths bike hike that is fun and well attended by the Cubs.

I've been watching this thread with interest, and was staying out of this p-ing contest. But i DO have to take exception to this statement:

"I don't think you will convince many Cub aged boys that to take a bike ride to see pretty trees wil be fun."

Are you kidding me? I'm really, really hoping you don't seriously believe that. And do you 'hide' shiny things in the woods to give hikes 'a purpose', too?

I think it sounds like a great idea, I think the kids will have fun, I think it will work! (again, my only concern is that the little just-got-my-training-wheels-off boys won't make it the whole way).

BW, I think you are really missing the point of the whole Cub Scouting program. Sometimes fun doesn't have to be structured. Sometimes you can start simple (ie a bike ride) and the boys will FIND fun. Sure, they COULD stay home and ride bikes around thier suburban blocks. But what about the interaction with thier parents, the comaderie of biking with thier friends, the challange of a loooong ride?

Nissan, good luck- let us know how it turns out!