State and US Flags

Ask your chartering organization. Most have ways to get flags and buy for their units the fancy unit flags which feature the chartering organizations name and location. Our chartering org which is a church has presented the troop and the pack with such flags and an US flag previously flown over the capitol. Contact your congressman's office to obtain those.

Recent history....

I was watching the Scouts begin the meeting with the usual color guard entry, and I did something I hadn't done before. I paid close attention to the APPEARANCE of the flags.

Here's what I discovered: 1))The Troop flag was the ORIGINAL flag that was used when I was a Scout in the same Troop, and it was really the worse for wear. I later went to the CC and spoke of getting a new Troop flag for the Troop to use and maybe retire the old one to a display case, with it's signatures and history mentioned. He was surprised that it was as old as it obviously was, and liked my suggestion. Troop 50th is approaching.

2)) The American flag had 15 stripes(!!) and only 15 stars. Because of the way the Scouts carry it in, no one had ever noticed this before, in recent memory at least. We had a short history lesson (no, the Troop isn't that old) about how the flag has evolved, and how cum the flag HERE looks the way it does and is it really an American flag we can use, shouldn't we get a new one etc. Well, the "star spangled banner" of the War of 1812 was 'created' just a few miles north of us so perhaps that is how we ended up with such a 'historic' flag rather than the up to date 50 star version.

Flags are fun and observation is important.

So, SctDad, get an up-to-date version! And just for kicks, sign the haul strip for reminincing when you come back later!

YiS

The flags you can get from your US Senator or Congressman are not free, and really aren't that cheap. I looked into it last fall. I then contacted my state rep, and he sent me a U.S. Flag and State Flag for free. Your mileage may vary...

Thank you to all who gave me the suggestions. I contacted my state reps. and they are sending me some. THey were actually really quick and helpful. I e-mailed them monday (Holiday) and I heard from them by tuesday morning. E-mailed back and forth a couple of times. Today (Wednesday) they asked for my address so they could mail it to me.

Guess they actually take time to think about scouts.