Webelos to Scout Transition when to Start

fgoodwin...

You hit the nail on the head. That's what I meant by the WL being more forward thinking than the disappearing packet. The WL need to make sure that all opportunities to participate in outdoor activities such as the summer residents camps and campouts with the troop are taken advantage of.

The packet just helps you make sure you have all your bases covered.

Mark

Former WL too.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Got a couple of questions

Per fgoodwin's post:

Re: Webelos Den Overnight Camping, refer to page 21-11 of the Cub Scout Leader Book (I have the the 2001 edition, but I think it says the same thing in the current edition):

Webelos den overnight campouts are parent-son events . . . In most cases, a Webelos Scout is under the supervision of his own father, mother or guardian.

Another quote from page 33-4:

Webelos Scout overnight campouts introduce the boy and his parent or guardian to the basics of the Boy Scout camping program . . . In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of a parent or guardian.

Both citations use the words "In most cases". What are the other cases?

I recently took Baloo training (which, due to the instructor was an utter waste of 5 hours), and the question came up "If Webelos can't camp without parents, what do we need Webelos Leader Outdoor Training for?". After a long pause, the answer was "You don't really need it for anything".

Given that the instructor was so weak, I'm sure there really is a reason to take the WLOT (or OWL, whatever it is this week). But, if Webelos still HAVE to HAVE a parent along on a Den Campout, then it must be more of a program-based reason than safety.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks,

NC

Novice: it turns out I gave the wrong page number for the first reference; it should be page 21-9.

But if you don't have access to the Cub Scout Leader Book, the rest of the quote says:If a parent or guardian cannot attend, the boy's family should make arrangements for one of the other parents or another adult relative or friend to be a substitute at the campout. It is essential that each Webelos Scout is under the supervision of an adult . . .