I've been thinking about ways of dealing with a bunch of new Cub Scouts who need to complete the Bobcat requirements.

One idea that's occurred to me would be having boys from all the dens run through the requirements at a night for den meetings, function as a sort of "Bobcat university." Parents would then be encouraged to fill in and sign off requireents, with the expectation that the "class" would "graduate" at the next Pack meeting. This might have the added benefit of encouraging parents to get involved in signing off requirements at the beginning of the year.

Does this sound like a useful idea? And does your Pack and Dens have good ways of working this into the program?

Seattle Pioneer

When I started the Wolf den I had only one returning boy from Tigers (my son) who had earned his Bobcat before the summer. I made up Bobcat work. It was fill in the blanks, decoding, had practice drills (handshake, salute) and other things of that nature. I simply made them up on the computer and we worked on them each meeting. By the next pack meeting all my boys had completed the requirements.

Carol

By far, the majority of new Cub Scouts are Tigers. Tigers do not earn Bobcat before Tiger. After practicing the Promise, Law, Sign, Handshake, Motto, & Salute all year at Den & Pack meetings, they are almost at Bobcat by the time they graduate to Wolf Cub Scout. About all that they have left are the things they have to do with their parents.

For the Cubs that come in new at other levels, it is a simple matter to practice the Bobcat items at Den meetings and at home. Most earn Bobcat in a month & receive it at their first Pack meeting.

Formalized Bobcat training is unnecessary.

We did something similar. I think we called it a bobcat trail or bobcat challenge. We set up stations around the meeting place. The boys ran from station to station completing requirements. If they didn't get it, they came back and reviewed/performed it again. We actually did it a couple of nights, in order to complete signoffs and reinforce the skills. Repitition is such a key at that age.

To me, doing it the way EagleinKy describes it, would deminish the importance of the requirements. I mean how much can they retain if they are rushing to get them done in one or two nights? It may take us a month but my boys were still able to recite the Law of the Pack and the Promise 6 months later.

JMHO,

Carol

Remember it isn't how fast you can get a boy to rank but how much fun and how well he learns the skills in the process. I have worked in scouting for close to 40 years. I see adults get into the mode that they have to get a scout to rank as fast as the can.

Earning Bobcat is a process of improving skills.

Just like any other rank is. It is repeating and practing those skills.

If you set up skill stations and run the boys through and mark their books off. Does the boy really understand the learning process of earning Bobcat? NO. The reason it is called "Trail to Bobcat" is because is should be a process.

My Cubs took until December to earn Bobcat. They had aball. They helped plan activities. And they don't have to all earn it at the same time. I had one boy that was finished in October. Well guess what I had him help me with the other boys. It gave him a since of responsibility.

Don't be in to big a hurry.(This message has been edited by Lynda J)

"Seattle Pioneer, seems you and National had the same idea in this respect."

No, they don't.

Seattle wants to have 1 meeting where all the new scouts from all of the various dens come together and run thru the Bobcat requirements. Then, after that ONE meeting, they would tell parents to sign off on the requirements, consider Bobcat to be earned, and receive it at that month's Pack meeting.

National gives you a whole month's (4) worth of meetings for both Cubs & Webelos. There are a variety of activites including games, creating Den rules , & practicing the Bobcat requirements at EACH MEETING. This is a program of ongoing reinforcement in the Den meetings of what they should be learning at home with their parents.

Not just a one time - one day thing.

How about this instead. Part of the Leadership portion of the Bear Trail is to help another scout join, or complete his Bobcat. When you get a new scout that was not a Tiger, try to get a Bear Den to help them out. It teaches the Bears leadership and the builds bonds.

Torveaux is on the money.

Also I wouldn't have a Bobcat University. I would just ensure that the boys and parents know the requirements and let them work on it at thier pace. I would also have my Den Leaders incoperate them in to the meetings.

CMF

I thank the people who responded to my bright idea. I had supposed that the Bobcat requirements might be difficult to accomodate in the regular Den program, but apparently that's not the case.

So I'm abandonning the idea as not needed and counterproductive to the Cub program.

Thanks again for the counsel and advice.

Seattle Pioneer