I'm having a hard time with something that was said at this months committee meeting. I'm new to scouting so maybe I'm just upset at nothing but I thought I would ask you veteran leaders.

When the topic of decorating for the blue & gold dinner came up It was suggested that the cubs make the place mats & centerpieces for the tables and posters for the walls. Everyone thoght it was a good idea except the Cubmaster. He threatened to quit if the boys made the decorations especially the centerpieces. He said the Blue and Gold was a reflection of him & his leadership and that no one was going to "trash up" his hall.

I was appalled, I thought that the boys were a part of everything in scouting and that scouting was about them. No one defended the boys, (ashamed to say not even me- It was my first meeting and I guess I was afraid to say anything) everyone just seemed to let the Scoutmaster dictate what was to be done. BTW- I found out after the meeting that the Scoutmaster is also the self appointed chairman of the Blue & Gold Dinner.

Is this the way it is suppose to be?

Welcome to the forums. I'm not a veteran leader, but I've been serving as Assistant Cubmaster for almost a year now. Here's my take on the CM position, and if I'm wrong, I trust that others here will correct me:

My personal opinion is that all that we as leaders do is for the benefit of the boys. It seems as though this CM feels the program is about him. It is not. He is a significant part of it, and he does his job well, it is the boys that will be seen and acknowledged the most. In the Cub Scout Leader Handbook, I read this:

"Everything that the Cubmaster does is aimed at helping the individual boy. Securing strong leaders, planning den and pack activities, advising other leaders and adult family members--these are all ways in which the Cubmaster affects the kind of Cub Scouting each boy in the pack is offered. The Cubmaster directly influences the lives of individual boys by keeping in mind that boys can become better through Cub Scouting."

In no way does this indicate that the CM should be the focus of anything. In my opinion, when the CM does his/her job well, the decorations, props, etc. won't be nearly as significant as the pride the boys take in a job well done, as the cheering provided the boys as they learn new skills and get to show them off, at the many ways in which the boys' accomplishments and efforts are showcased. I might one day be CM, and my hope is that in doing my job, I will fade into the background as the boys are up front doing whatever they might be doing at a particular meeting, including the B & G.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

You have the right to fell this wya. CM is just selfish plain and simple.

I was Den Chief for Wolf Den this past year (the other 5 years i was for Weblows II) but anyways I found this neat site that allowed me to print out thius big Wolf logo and i had th kids color them and used them for palcmeats and then used there pine wood derby cars for other pieces and other misc. projects the table llok really nice and impressive the best part was is that the boys did it.

Laurie is right on the money.

I have been to lots of Blue and Gold Banquets.

Some were the great ones where each den played an active part in the program. Some may have looked like they were out of Better Homes and Gardens. But that isn't how the game is played.

Wow I nearly forgot that Feb. isn't that far away. You wouldn't believe how much chicken I get to eat. Some sundays I get to as many as three B&G's All of them have chicken. I wasn't that keen on the stuff to start with.

As for the CM being the chairman. This ought to be a Pack Committee appointment. At most B&G the Cubmaster is far too busy to be the Chairman as well as the Cubmaster.

Eamonn

I was cubmaster for years and I find his attitude incomprehensibly selfish. I agree that it is about the boys and they have a great time making the table decorations. We invited senior scouts from the troop to do the judging (impartial judges) and had gag prizes for the winners (bird feathers, etc.). We also had a "Dad's drop-dead-delicious dessert contest" that was popular, especially with the judges. The winner dad merely received name recognition (and attention from the mothers). And the winner den with the best table decoration was first in line to devour the desserts after judging was finished. Thinking back on it, it was so much fun for me I am tempted to go back to the cubs...

Find out when your District Roundtable is for Cub Scout leaders and go to it. The January Roundtable should be all about B&G, which usually happens in February. Dens have been making their own table decorations for decades. That's how it's done. As a CM for 6 yrs, we even had a contest with prizes...every den won something.

I'm a former "Mubcaster", and dens doing the B&G decorating is the only way I've ever seen it. If they didn't, what would those critters do at the den meetings leading up to it if they weren't making place mats and napkin rings?

I think the Cubmaster has a screw in serious need of tightening...

KS

Hi,

We have the boys make stuff for the tables, placemats, centerpieces, and napkin rings, anything that can go on the table. Last year my den made small US Flags from craft sticks to give out as favors. They were also placed on the tables. The idea is that everyone contributes. Thats not to say that some store bought decorations arent OK, we also get blue and gold (yellow) helium balloons to put on the tables.

As for the B&G chairman job, our tradition is to let the outgoing Webelos leaders put the event together. The CM is of course the MC, but the people in charge are the outgoing Webelos leaders.

It sounds like perhaps your CM got very embarrassed at some time in the past because the B&G committee didnt do its job. So now hes determined to be a one man show. Maybe you need to talk with him and find out whats going on.

Very irrational. Part of the charm of the B&G is the stuff that the boys make for decorations.

Being who I am, I'd tell the B&G chair to go ahead and have the boys make the decorations. Let's see if the CM quits. You might be better off without him. With his attitude, I can only imagine what he does when one of his kids gives him a homemade father's day card.

I may have said what FOG said in a different manner, but when I agree with someone, regardless of who it is or how often we disagree, I have to admit . . . that I agree with them on that particular issue.

I side with FOG and the others on this one.

The Cubmaster is being, for whatever reason, irrational. The Blue and Gold should be the boys' celebration, not a status builder for the Cubmaster. If the Cubmaster chooses to leave over centerpieces, you don't need that person as Cubmaster.

DS

With such a selfish and possesive attitude the Cubmaster thinks it is "his pack" and is probably behaving poorly not just over the planning for Blue and Gold dinner but also at pack meetings and other events too. He has forgotten, or never understood, that his job is to help provide an effective program for the boys. The CM should be getting satisfaction from doing that well, not from how impressive the decorations look at the Blue and Gold.

From the original post it seems like the ego of this possessive Cubmaster is dominating the pack committee meetings too. After all he thinks it is "his pack" so why not run the committee meetings too! The committee chairperson needs to resist this intimidation and with help from Den leaders and committee members take back that responsibility. The committee needs to evaluate whether the Cubmaster's behavior is suitable for BSA's methods and goals. If it isn't then with the help of the charter organization the committee can remove him. In this case it could be a simple matter since the CM has acted childishly leveraging his demands with a threat to quit. The committee could easily turn that into a resignation. A good way to find an immediate replacement CM is to look for a dad in the pack who is an Eagle Scout. In a situation like this he likely would be willing to step up to the job of CM "for the boys" and do a better job even before he gets his training.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

• 1 month later...

Well, maybe I shouldn't say this but I think the pack needs a new Cub Master. Yes, the Blue and Gold is a special time for these boys, but it sounds like the Cub Master is thinking about himself and not the boys. We are in this for the children. I have been in scouting for 8 years and I am a Cub Master. I love to see the things the children make. My kids will run up to me and give me a big hug. The kids really should make the decorations. The leaders and I usually decorate the bridge for the boys crossing over and then we decorate a table in front also. The children have fun making the decorations plus some things can go towards there rank. This years theme is Fiesta. Is your Cub Master following the theme. Our boys have been busy making a pinata and maracas. Well I guess I have said enough.

Your Pack will probably be better off if this guy quits! Ditto to what many have posted! When I was a CM, the Den's decorated & I played MC. We did do a really neat indian theme one year!

Ed Mori

1 PEter 4:10