A good provisional program

1. Focus on Fun.

2. Scouts in charge.

3. Allow scouts unstructured, free time.

My son will not attend summer camp with his own troop where adults schedule every minute of a scout's day and often those activities are the same old stuff focused on T-SC-FC requirements. Boring.

Most the boys that can't make the week of summer camp make arrangements to attend with a nearby troop. Our council camp has a provisional troop only the last week of the schedule. If they can't make it during either of those two weeks (1 with own troop, 1 with provo troop), then they need to dove-tail into another troop's program or miss out on summer camp.

The last time I had a boy that couldn't attend summer camp with the troop, he called up the Scout Office, found out what troops would be attending the week he could attend, called up a SM and went with that troop. Had a good time and made a lot of friends in the other troop.

Stosh

What Stosh said.

My son, as a 17 year old and 18 year old, was already on camp staff at one of our two Scout Reservations. His summers were tightly scheduled with his staff job taking a huge chunk of his summer. He could not afford the time for a 10 day Scout Camp. A 7 day program was it; all or nothing.

He provisional'd with a Troop in our neighboring Council twice; had grand times both! He took his ASM training that second summer.